Conviction, Chapter 8 (spoilers)

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Conviction, Chapter 8 (spoilers)

Post by kyli »

So really great chapter Fel. It ended a bit abruptly and on a bit of a cliffhanger but i understand why and i'm happy you released it anyway.

I wonder what the civilization at R1XC-1493 thought of the space battle. It says their in the planetary colonization phase but that they haven't left the system. I think that description is a bit broad. Pre-subjugation earth would fit the description so they probably at least have telescopes and maybe even satilites. And since the battle basicly created four mini-novas that were probably bright enough to be seen with the naked eye from their planet, I'm sure they noticed it.

I think frigates be used a bit better in the war. They got a particle beam and a cloak. A supership isn't very maneuverable and it would probably be difficult to hit a frigate from very close with overwhelming firepower because the heavier weapons are built into recessed bunkers hollowed out of the armor and couldn't target the frigate unless it went right in front of it. The curvature of the ship would also limit some of the weapons that could be used against the frigates. So my idea is the use the frigates against superships similarly to the way fighters are used against regular vessels. They can get close to the supership, drop cloak an attack and if it gets to hairy, they can cloak and retreat. Since CCM ship can overpower the other ships, they can prevent them from helping the supership with the frigates.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
Greymist
Weavespinner

Re: Conviction, Chapter 8 (spoilers)

Post by Greymist »

So it's available here, I asked Fel this question on twitter:
  • @Sennadar_Fel So, Benga, will they work out how to disrupt commune? Like TP white noise / jamming? Random thought.
And he gave this answer:
  • @KarlB_ they'll try but fail. Without crystals, they can't duplicate the form of telepathy biogenics uses.
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

kyli wrote:I wonder what the civilization at R1XC-1493 thought of the space battle. It says their in the planetary colonization phase but that they haven't left the system. I think that description is a bit broad. Pre-subjugation earth would fit the description so they probably at least have telescopes and maybe even satilites. And since the battle basicly created four mini-novas that were probably bright enough to be seen with the naked eye from their planet, I'm sure they noticed it.
That does not only depend on their exact technological progress but also on how curious they are about space. We were lucky enough to have a huge, shining piece of rounded rock moving around in the sky, but if there was no moon, I doubt humanity would be as interested in the sky above us as we have been. Damn, we even integrated the moon into our very way to calculate, cut and divide time. Oh, and since it is at the very border of our galaxy, that sky must be complete darkness most of the time.

And no matter what they think about space, if we had huge pieces of man-made... uh.. alien-made damaged ship parts floating around anywhere in our solar system we damn well would directly start investing half the yearly national budget into getting there, claiming those pieces and learning how they work before someone else does. Wars for anything but that knowledge would quickly become irrelevant.
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

This was a great chapter. I loved the description of the battle and the crazy exploding super-ships. I was a little surprised at how well everything was going until Jason read the reports from the other groups. At least now we know how well their assets stack up against each other. The numbers that the Syndicate can bring to bear is still a big big problem. I also imagine that the Megatron teams are going to find their missions much harder as the Syndicate adapts and understands what is happening.

I wonder what useful intelligence can be gathered from the recovered mecha and their crews. If the Kimdori are still blocking communications, how much will the Syndicate fleet know about all the engagements?

I'm looking forward to seeing how well the capture team fare.
kyli wrote:And since the battle basicly created four mini-novas that were probably bright enough to be seen with the naked eye from their planet, I'm sure they noticed it.
Funny. :lol:
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
calista241
Katzh-dashi

Post by calista241 »

Fel's battle scenes are absurdly amazing. the Titan's flying into battle behind the battleships was just riveting.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

They might want to limit just how much they shrink their deployments. The Karrines have show just how deadly their ships are, so they will become huge priority targets for the Benga. The benga expected resistance, but for their mobile moons of death to be one shot, one killed would be unnerving, especially it being done so much in the opening phases of the campaign.
I have an idea to deal with those nova explosions, shape he shield so to make it that it simply pushed them further away, so sort of surfing the explosion. Imagine if they created a biogenic system dedicated to protecting the ship by telekineticly protecting the ship from incoming fire, with or with out a generation on board.

To combat the super ships, they need to give the confederation a better chance to fight them. Say the Karrines does start capturing them, I bet if upgraded to confederation levels tech, they are superior to the Syndicate version. The thing is even refitting one of those ships is simply a huge investment, it might become a joint project between races to share out the costs. I am deeply looking forward to a karrine improved one, I bet a kimdori or coalition refitted ship would be equally epic.
I wonder what the smallest craft that can use those giants as a carrier. I figure all non hyper units, but I wonder how many ships capable of hyperspace/FTL travel could be carried by it. Since the karrine has been building a huge fleet of smaller warships, being able to use the super ships as a mobile anchorage would be very useful.
The fact those giant ships don't have proper and complete shields might be very useful. There could be some very powerful weapons out there, that are sidelined due to how they are easily negated by shielding. Such systems might offer the way for all the confederation races to be capable of taking out the benga.
.S.A.M.K.M
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

expedient wrote: I wonder what useful intelligence can be gathered from the recovered mecha and their crews. If the Kimdori are still blocking communications, how much will the Syndicate fleet know about all the engagements?
I'm pretty sure that the syndicate communications to Oasis is being jammed. I just hope the syndicate groups in the galaxy are also jammed and can't communicate with each other. Otherwise it will be more difficult to set up those Megatron units if the syndicate know the danger.

Also, where are the Kimdori ships in this war? I don't recall them being mentioned at all in this chapter and I'm sure they also have the firepower to take out superships.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

The indication plan might not be so easy. The super ships are said to be quite self sufficient, and they do have access to a habitable planet. They might get isolated, but their supplies should last them a long time.

If the syndicate forces truly have no FTL communications, and are stuck with courier ships, then they might not realise just how effective kArrine s hips are. Since they would use lesser ships as couriers, then the confederation can easily keep them in check. They likely believe that there is no way to so quickly destroy the super ship. That even if there was an effective weapon, it would be a long battle, in which an endangered ship would have the choice to escape via hyperdrive. Especially if there are multiple ships.
.S.A.M.K.M
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

SYED wrote:The indication plan might not be so easy. The super ships are said to be quite self sufficient, and they do have access to a habitable planet. They might get isolated, but their supplies should last them a long time
Even isolating the syndicate ships at oasis is a victory so long as there is no way to escape. So long as they don't have FTL, they can be permanently trapped. If they try to get out at sublight, the karinnes could just move the layers of interdiction every few months or so. They could stay on the planet and live without running out of resourcese but that still takes them out of the action. However, getting them to surrender once they are trapped could be a problem. After they surrender, they become either prisoners or they are returned to Andromeda where their superiors will be pretty ticked off at them. They might perfer just staying at oasis if the alternative is giving up their ships.

But i don't know if they will even be trapped. I can't see any tactical reason why the KMS is delaying activating the interdictors given their current information. Waiting just makes it more likely that the ships at oasis will start to move any day. They can't stay their forever if they want to attack the galaxy. But I think Fel is delaying it on purpose because of the precog. If the karinnes tried activating the interdictor before the Karinnes found out about precogs, then I think the syndicate will escape the trap just like they escaped the original trap.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

From the little we know, they used their future sight to make sure they won the key battles. So if it is working, those battles where they face confederation forces with super ships, those were key to them. That means they sent a lot of those deployments to draw away ships that would be threats to their true objectives. The deployments with no super ships, to draw the lesser confederation forces away, while somehow many of those super ship deployments more important for the karrine, coalition and imperial ship killers.

I doubt every ships would have the future sight tech. Say some super ships are captured ,there should be data at least. It seems like the thing that would be in their equivalent of a command ship. Hopefully the kimdori can at least copy the necessary data. Part of me is thinking the tech is part of the same tech based of the unique way they traveled and communicated in stasis. I guess that they stopped before the trap, due to the future warning. That might mean their controlled dreaming, altered state stasis tech, could be linked to having visions.
This is due to stargate the tv series. They had this process called Ascension, where a physical being became an energy being. Parts of this was through using nearly all of the brains, another their mind had to reach a certain state of mind, often done through self enlightenment and meditation. It kind of makes sense that for telepathic powers, certain states of mind and sustained for long periods, would be very useful.

Has anyone seen the movie, Push? It is about a bunch of people with mental powers. There were some that had an ability to see future events. They could only see thing that people decide to do. Once a person had decided to carry out an act, they would see it. It was only when they were about to set off the trap, did they come out of hyperspace? So the fact the confederation made all those battle plans might make it easier for them to perceive their actions. The thing is now they have seen the threat of the Karrines, they would be focusing on what they are planning to do next.
In the movie, they got around this ability by random choices and when they made plans, they erased them from their minds, leaving cards carrying command to be opened at specific times. So they all carried out plans, with no idea of the rest of it, just their jobs.
.S.A.M.K.M
Coderunner
Novice

Post by Coderunner »

Well, it's clear that only the CCM/Karinne ships can do enough damage to the Syndicate ships to make any noticeable difference, so the Syndicate must know this as well. I'd be surprised if we don't eventually see attempts to simply overwhelm the Karinne ships by outnumbering them by a hundred to one, or boarding parties trying to covertly or overtly gain access to Karinne ships, in an attempt to capture a ship or its technology. True, the Karinnes have a technological advantage, but if Syndicate forces can cause enough chaos, they might be able to sneak someone inside. They could possibly also try to find out where these advanced ships are coming from, and then send a massive portion of their fleet to try and deal with Karis at some point.
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

Coderunner wrote:so the Syndicate must know this as well.
Must they? This is up for debate right now:
kyli wrote:I'm pretty sure that the syndicate communications to Oasis is being jammed.
I'm more concerned about the how some of the weaker members of the CCM feel. They can barely stand against the Syndicate battleships and not at all against the super-ships. Meanwhile the KMS is busy blowing them up single shot and capturing them (hopefully). There are only four navies in the CCM that seem to have any chance against the bigger Syndicate ships right now and no one has the numbers needed to defeat a full invasion. That kind of worry might urge some of them to make rash desperate decisions depending on how things play out.
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
Coderunner
Novice

Post by Coderunner »

Unless the KMS, Coalition and INS forces managed to prevent every single ship from escaping from those encounters, the Syndicate will probably have access to battle logs that they can analyze. So if they don't already know, they likely will soon. We'll just have to wait and see how they try to counter that threat to their superships.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Coderunner wrote:Unless the KMS, Coalition and INS forces managed to prevent even a single ship from escaping from those encounters, the Syndicate will probably have access to battle logs that they can analyze. So if they don't already know, they likely will soon. We'll just have to wait and see how they try to counter that threat to their superships.
The only logs they will have are probably from battles where the CCM was forced to retreat. They won't have logs of the battles where all there ships were destroyed. Also remember that oasis is over a week travel away (i forget how long exactly). It would take a lot of courier ships to make sure the logs got there without being intercepted since the karinnes would have lots of time to pick them off. Of course, i'm still assuming the syndicate communications are blocked. I don't think we ever got confirmation on that. But the ships in the galaxy can probably use courier ships and they will still be able to analyze the logs from the battles that they won.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

The thing is if they send off courier ships, the I bet the Karrines can track them in hyper. The smaller ships can be intercepted by General confederation ships. Would they really use super ships as couriers? If they send them out so isolated, then a karrine battle ship would be waiting for them.

The super ships don't have a proper shielding system like most warships due to their size. There must be weapons capable of great damage, yet not used in battle due to shields negating their effect.
.S.A.M.K.M