chapter 7 (spoiler) discussion responses to actions

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Re: chapter 7 (spoiler) discussion responses to actions

Post by kyli »

SYED wrote:We know at some point the consortium had access to a hyper space catapult, I wonder if the syndicate could have a catapult network. Targeting them would greatly affect shipping and transport. For a galactic empire to be truly viable, it needs some kind of advanced transport network, otherwise there would be extrem shipping times.

Can an indictor work if it goes into translight speed?
The syndicate, like the karinnes, have absolutely no use for a catapult unless they are using really old jump engines. And we have no reason to assume that. I think a galaxy spaning empire would not delay long in installing real time jump engines in all their ships, not just the military.

And i am about 99% certain an indictor would not work at translight speed. And even if it did, it would have to run at reduced power.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

The thing is with real time hyperspace, it takes time to cross a whole galaxcy. A sentient can only be exposed to jump space for so long. I think there is a limit even with the jack by pass they created. So they either need to make a lot of stops, or use unmanned jump ships. I doubt they used stasis units like they did for their extra galactic journey.
Any chance the giant ships are quicker. I could see huge ships used for the extra long journeys, due to their self sufficiency and security.

Can they weaponised that jump shock wave effect caused from their galactic engines? For use to knock ships Travelling through interstellar space.
.S.A.M.K.M
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

The use of the 'hyperspace shocks' to knock ships out of hyperspace is a good one. It's certainly something that can be done and if it ends up destroying or damaging the hyperspace engines in the moon sized ships all the better. However I'm not sure how certain that is.

I do remember Star Gate and Ascension is something that I kind of thought might be a 'true' end game of Subjugation. Fel mentioned that 'microkinesis' is the ability to operate in a 'new mental realm' aka the subatomic world via Telekinetic but I was always wondering if there was a way to well...become a true mental being. Sort of like a god. In fact that's what I always considered a god would BE in the Subjugation universe, somebody whose existence is purely mental. Now how LIKELY that is to happen I'm not going to raise.

Causing a revolution is going to be hard simply because of the size of the Syndicate...and also because of their policy of 'if a planet is to much trouble to recapture, kill everybody on it with a planet cracker'. You would literally need to co-ordinate a uprising on hundreds to thousands of planets simultaneously while making sure that the rebellions were in a position to command ships BEFORE somebody came in and turned on the bomb. Killing individuals, as mentioned, isn't going to do much unless you put selectively positioned people in charge of the corporations.

I agree a peace deal with the Consortium MIGHT be possible but...I doubt anybody in the Mily Way is going to trust them for years, and more to the point one of Jason's allies will not consider peace with them after they left them out to dry. More it will require pointing out Project F to have them move to one o f the OTHER galaxies in a time efficient manner.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Belgarion213 wrote: I agree a peace deal with the Consortium MIGHT be possible but...I doubt anybody in the Mily Way is going to trust them for years, and more to the point one of Jason's allies will not consider peace with them after they left them out to dry. More it will require pointing out Project F to have them move to one o f the OTHER galaxies in a time efficient manner.
Not necessarily. I think Project F will anyways be revealed at some point in this book. I actually look forward to seeing the Confederation reaction :twisted:. But stargates can move ships to another galaxy faster then translight/hyperdrives. I probably wouldn't let too many consortium ships near the stargate at the same time but they won't need to use Project F except maybe to get the gates in place.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Using a free stargate is very dangerous without both a sending and receiving gate. But if you have some form of real time sensory and communication of the destination it might be easier. It is said the further a wormhole is, the more stable it would be. So such a free form work hole only usable to travel to another galaxcy if there is something to transmit data back.

He will reveal project F to get access to the confederation factories to build untold legion toys. Since only his ships are able to go on the offensive, they will offer resources to make sure he can cause the most damage. There might be those that want this level of tech shared, but their history and the fact their ships literally won't support it would back the argument for keeping the tech in house.
.S.A.M.K.M
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

Yeah, without a paired Stargate, its very dangerous to send somebody through a hole to the another galaxy. Jason had all his arguments with the Denmother about that. Getting a Star Gate to another galaxy is rather troubling (also remember the Stargates are Imperium Tech so any plan like that needs the Empress's approval).

Also you have am much more charitable view of what would happen with the reveal of Project F than I do. Even Jason acknowledged that if something like Project F was revealed the espionarge attemps would instantly go through the roof. It doesn't matter that only the Karines, Kimdori and that other race (forget their names, the ones who are almost as advanced as the Karines) could build it, or only the Morodiim (or whatever their name is) could build a computer to do the calculations. The confederation are rather stuck for resources. It was why the everybody was tickled pink to pick apart that empire that attacked because they got more room and resources. Everybody is rather 'crowded' in the galaxy. However Project F opens up trillions if not quadrillions of new star systems. Jason wants to keep it in house for that very reason, but he might have to reveal it and deal with the fallout later.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Simply get an addition made to the confederation, any members so long as they follow the rules, they can use karrine gates to access other galaxy when opened for use. They would literally be their only option
.S.A.M.K.M
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Jason would not tolerate any empire stealing the translight tech anymore then he would tolerate them stealing biogenics. It would be an act of war and he will have to make sure they understand that. Because the price of success is worse then the proce of failure, it might limit the espionage to a manageable level. Also there are still systems in the milky way that are unclaimed. I think the Q quadrent is mostly devoid of spacefaring races.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Jason is causing the confederation to make a lot of money, the differing members might all love to get access their tech, but they would likely turn on anyone that threatens the current arrangement. The academy is slowly releasing tech and they aid nations in adapting the tech to their industries. Even if they some how steal intact samples or schematics, creating and adapting the systems properly would take time and resources. During which they could be discovered and dealt with.

Part of the house advanced tech base is centered around the biogenic crystals. The next best is the imperium systems. What systems do the kimdori and the other advanced race use? The kimdori might have a form of biogenic crystal tech of their own, but that other highly advanced race could have something very unique. If Jason could one day make something better than the current system tech but not based of biogenic systems, those he couLd feed to the confederation.
.S.A.M.K.M