Consequence of the focused dreaming system (spoilers)

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
SYED
Child of Niami

Consequence of the focused dreaming system (spoilers)

Post by SYED »

From the story, there is a system in the stasis unit that make minds partially active in long term dreaming. Since telepathy can manage dreams, the syndicate can keep them from going into nightmares or trapped in a dream world. It is not a total solution, but it somehow allowed the syndicate to win every key battle against the consortium, even if every other battle was lost.

It has been implied they have some sort of future sight. It has been mentioned as one of the psychic powers, but increadibly rare and not that useful. I don't know if it comes in as visions or dreams. Say visions occur at a certain/specific level of sleep, by artificially placing some one at that level, it might be possible to more directly access or manipulate such an ability. Especially if people could be made to dream for long periods. It reminds me of the movie Minority Report, three psychic placed in a dream like trance, predicted every murder that was due to occur in the short term.

If house karrine gain access to these systems, by combining it with the existing jack and merge programs, their sense media and games, they could create their own equivalent of the dreaming programs. Their proprietary biogenic crystal systems give them one unparalleled advantage, it boost both telekinetic and telepathic power. It stands to reason, it could also boost even a minor ability to see the future. While the original generation program likely focused on tele kinetic/pathic power and ability, as scientists, they would have attempted to do the same for the other rare or lesser abilities. Some how they made it so the telekinetic ability, which is not that common, was present in every generation.

Does any one remember the names for them all? I know empathy is one, but I think in general it is subsumed in telepathy. It is possible that the karrine bloodlines that carried the rare abilities, simply died in the assault on Karis. I think that there was pyrokinetic power. From mentions, these rare powers are not epic in scale, so it is possible that there are those with some potential, but by itself negligible. The thing is the biogenic systems, could slow any one with potential to have viable abilities. The reason why they have yet to be seen, as the systems need to be tuned/augemented to do so. Large scale telekinesis can warp space, but on a small scale, kill almost unnoticed in the brain. Imagine the same for these abilities.

We know the kimdori were doing some shenanigans with Cybi, I wonder home many of the faey they sent onto Karis, had the potential for these rare gifts in their bloodline. So eventually, they woul intermingle with the generations, creating these new gifted bloodlines. We know most noble houses worked on improving the telepathic strength of their families, I wonder if Merrane carries any of those unique abilities. Such rare gifts, I wonder how many went to noble houses, and how many went to their temple orders. Truly unique gifts would have been seen as divine favor. A religious order would have been a good place for a surviving and hunted karrine.

In the original story, there was a mention of a karrine artifact being hidden away. I wonder if it is time for it to be found.
Last edited by SYED on Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
.S.A.M.K.M
calista241
Katzh-dashi

Re: Consequence of the focused dreaming vr jump system (spoi

Post by calista241 »

A question I have is about the Kimdori infiltrators. Will they lower their defenses to receive this dream state? Will the Benga telepaths be able to uncover them if they do? Will the Benga be able to discover that someone they previously could "read" is now closed off to them? Will they be able to sense the communications between the infiltrators and the Biogenic computers on Kimdori prime?
SYED
Child of Niami

Re: Consequence of the focused dreaming system (spoilers)

Post by SYED »

I reread the part of the chapters about the pods. They are a kind of stasis system. It places the person in and out of a REM state and true stasis, separating them from sensory information during hyper jump. Similar to how the jacks allow for greater jumping capability, by replacing the sensory flow. This system allows the occupant to be revived quicker, and be more mentally capable sooner once released.

There is also mentions of a secondary system, that allows the dreamer to recieve information likely by hearing, to be incorparating the information into dream. Their telepathy can then direct the dreaming of others, and share this info.
The thing is, during the trip they decided to revive and alter course, that suggest they coul access some ship systems somehow. This makes me wonder if they have some kind of basic interface system, similar to what the consortium had their forces using. It did inspire the jack system the confederation uses. If a telepath is aware and able to affect others even in this altered state, they could access someone motor skills in side a pod to manually input commands to a computer. Telepathy might not be affected by hyperspace, so no issues there.

We know the syndicate was a generally lower level tech than the consortium but was able to prevail. I wonder if their technology in stasis, dream like and mental states allowed them to greatly advance their telepathic powers. Say you need a specific state of mind for visions, the ability to artificially induce and influence them would be invaluable. So say they had a similar range of lesser talents, but were able to keep them constant and sustained.

It seems like only Jason did not encounter issues due to temporal differences, due to his generation ability to deal with multiple things at once. This makes me wonder if they would be suited for seeing through time. They might have the actual talent, but a variation of it might be accessible.
.S.A.M.K.M