Conviction chapter 3, spoilers

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
MartinK
Da'Shar

Re: Conviction chapter 3, spoilers

Post by MartinK »

betatester wrote:Ya but once you have a length of the route verified; you can make that jump in a single instance. They could just send automated translight probes to map a galaxy; just like their hyperspace probes.

There are plenty of ways to enable fast translight travel :mrgreen:
Indeed, since most races and nations have used hyperspace travel for centuries, verifying routes should be pretty routine. And we haven't read a hint that going translight in hyperspace is any different than just using hyperspace without translight in terms of danger. Almost all traffic obstacles are pretty huge and easy to see. Black holes will leave pretty obvious changes on gravity instruments. And since those don't just pop up out of nowhere, you can see them from far off. As mentioned before, since hyperspace jumping was already pretty fast in our own galaxy, securing safe jump lanes and mapping the galactic potholes should be pretty routine and wouldn't even need mentioning. It's like driving a car and knowing to use roads and if necessary maps. Nobody mentions that either, at best you get a "drive safe, honey". :-)

But what I don't like in your post is the part where you send automated translight probes. Just using translight will slow down the mapping work, better to jump as fast as possible in a grid pattern and scan all around you at every jump. If you send probes to go translight in hyperspace, you put yourself at a huge risk. If even one of those probes fails and remains behind to be found by someone else, you have a situation infinitely worse than if you just jump manned ships around, waste peoples time and perhaps even loose a scout or two.

Don't let sensitive technology out of your hands in form of automated anythings!
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
betatester
Katzh-dashi

Post by betatester »

You are right to not let "sensitive technology out of your hands in form of automated anythings"

but still there r other ways to map
First jump to intergalactic space just before edge of a new galaxy in hyperspace translight mode
Second use hyperspace telescopes to survey said galaxy and then use normal hyperspace probes to verify surveyed data and maps
Third enable hyperspace translight travel for that galaxy
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

First I'd like to say: I think i wore out my refresh botton on my internet brouser yesterday :twisted:
Second, exploration will go slow and steady. Getting to the destination faster is gonna speed it up but they won't rush it.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

Or simply go and visit a few hyperspace races in your target galaxy, perhaps undercover by Kimdori, and you get centuries of observational data on the galaxy. That stuff won't be declared secret since even the lowest trader will need it and.. heck... everyone else they can think of will have the same data anyway. Who would imagine that someone from another galaxy would come visit, galaxies are usually big enough to keep a race busy exploring until that race either dies out or evolves beyond purely physical concerns.
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
lapland
Katzh-dashi

Post by lapland »

First I'm surprised the din mother hasn't already requested a translight drive. She has already shown that she will risk kimdori lives on new technology if there is a need. She would volunteer long term test data for the use.
Second, there is no need to use translight probes. You wouldn't want to start by grid seeding the universe. Simply send a group of scout ships with translight to seed hyperspace probes. Possibly put a few at strategic locations at each galaxy. Kimdori may want to post a few children at each location. If they all have biogenic communication then only having hyperspace drives would be enough because help would be minutes away. Once a galaxy shows promise, further probes can be seeded.
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

lapland wrote:First I'm surprised the din mother hasn't already requested a translight drive. She has already shown that she will risk kimdori lives on new technology if there is a need.
Again, isn't that already an assumption thats come and gone? Of course the Kimdori will get that tech and of course they will be the first to put it into practical use in other galaxies. No need to put in a scene where the den mother comes and begs for it, they are family. The Kimdori are natural scouts and spies and the closest and most trusted allies with House Karinne. You can bet what hair you still got on your head that they are already involved in making theory and testbuild into proven and reliable everyday use tech. I even seem to remember an offhand comment about that... but.. was it in the chapter or just in this thread in one of the earlier posts?
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

lapland wrote:First I'm surprised the din mother hasn't already requested a translight drive. She has already shown that she will risk kimdori lives on new technology if there is a need.
The karinnes and the kimdori are working together on this. Project F is a joint research project between both the karinnes and the kimdori. If you recall , Jason asked den mother for help in inception 13 already. As soon as the drive is tested, both karinne and kimdori ships will have the drive installed asap, I'm sure.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

It is said that their translight engine by itself is the fastest FTL system, so does that mean it is now faster than real hyperdrive or the third alternative one. It also allows them to travel very quickly in indicted space. I wonder if places like that nebula, where hyper drives are inhibited, it could still travel very quickly.
Since we know the non hyper drive FTL potentially threatens the indicator system, they need their own tech to deal with them. So create the best versions of them as possible. So creat an engine and catapult version of each. Then a way to inhibit, track or deal with them. We know there are hyperdrive probes and missiles, could there be equivalents for them with the alternative FTL systems?
The CMS involved bending various energies around the ships, including light, so combining it with a translight systems to be highly useful.
.S.A.M.K.M
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

So Fel, could you provide an update on what up, since it seems your last update proved incorrect? Please
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

I'm holding off on releasing the edits until I get more into chapter 4, to make sure everything lines up properly. Chapter 4 is going to address a LOT about the engines, so for continuity's sake, I'm saving myself potential re-dos later on.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Any chance after you post the altered chapter, you simply post the altered segments on the forum. That way we won't any of the changes.
Would a stargate be the only way to allow fast travel for the lower tech races? Say they make a hyper relay, could a properly augemented translight ship be able to use it properly?
.S.A.M.K.M
betatester
Katzh-dashi

Post by betatester »

Fel wrote:I'm holding off on releasing the edits until I get more into chapter 4, to make sure everything lines up properly. Chapter 4 is going to address a LOT about the engines, so for continuity's sake, I'm saving myself potential re-dos later on.
Does this means that we will have Chapter 4 soon ?

Also Fel could we get an update of Karinne empire at the start of Syndicate war like

Total Population in the House of Karinne and then separated for each colony
Total No of Systems owned
Total No Colonies; their type(Garden/desert/tundra/dead/radioactive/etc) and their purpose(Agriculture/Mining)
Also could you give us an idea of total Karinne industrial might/GDP(compare it with other local sector empires so we have an idea)

Total KMS, KES and KMM Fleet Numbers and then divided into separate classes
Total Fleet Assets(like space stations/stargates/others)

So that we can get an idea what Karinnes have accomplished since Karis was revealed to the public during the first consortium attack and Jason put in the policy of expansion and started to induct people publicly to increase House of Karinne population.

We know that in Inception, only Exile had any permanent population(12000) and it was still a farming colony; Whats the state of other colonies ?
You wanted to turn RG-118-3B into an industrial planet given that it was semi-arid and had abundant natural resources
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

betatester wrote:Does this means that we will have Chapter 4 soon ?
Don't pressure him. A chapter takes time to write and rewrite. As always, it will be done when it is done. Patience, young Padawan. ;-)
Total No Colonies; their type(Garden/desert/tundra/dead/radioactive/etc) and their purpose(Agriculture/Mining)
Also could you give us an idea of total Karinne industrial might/GDP(compare it with other local sector empires so we have an idea)
How come you find those numbers interesting? Few if any good books are all that extensive on hard numbers. That is because if you write those numbers in, they rarely add something to the story but they will be something that nails down the potential that you can still use. Without numbers, you have quite a bit of flexibility in your way of writing. If you put those numbers in, you nail yourself down to those numbers. Inconsistency is a bitch. We have just seen how using solid numbers on the speed of that jumpdrive ended badly for us. Keep it vague and it not only fires up your imagination but also helps keep the story together and balanced.

Or how would knowing they had a dozen agricultural worlds producing food instead of two dozen help you? This isn't Master of Orion. :-))
SoronelHaetir
Katzh-dashi

Post by SoronelHaetir »

MartinK wrote:
betatester wrote:Does this means that we will have Chapter 4 soon ?
Don't pressure him. A chapter takes time to write and rewrite. As always, it will be done when it is done. Patience, young Padawan. ;-)
How come you find those numbers interesting? Few if any good books are all that extensive on hard numbers. That is because if you write those numbers in, they rarely add something to the story but they will be something that nails down the potential that you can still use. Without numbers, you have quite a bit of flexibility in your way of writing. If you put those numbers in, you nail yourself down to those numbers. Inconsistency is a bitch. We have just seen how using solid numbers on the speed of that jumpdrive ended badly for us. Keep it vague and it not only fires up your imagination but also helps keep the story together and balanced.

Or how would knowing they had a dozen agricultural worlds producing food instead of two dozen help you? This isn't Master of Orion. :-))
I would also say that in this environment the technology race is incredibly more important than raw industrial capability. And on that score the Karinnes are far ahead.
betatester
Katzh-dashi

Post by betatester »

Even if you are the most technologically advanced civilization, you need manpower to field a big army and fleet. Otherwise enemies could zerg-rush you. Just like andromedeans are doing to milky way at the moment.

At the moment Karinnes are fighting Syndicate and Consortium, both of whom have huge populations and hundreds of thousands of warships. They each have half a galaxy worth of resources/manpower that's why the milky way empires came together to repel these invaders and take a stand.
But once all these wars are over, the Karinnes need to able to project that they can stand on their own against the whole milky way empires if the worst happens;

As Fel hinted that this book is all about the translight Flt and the Karinne Conviction to not share it with any other empire; thats going to generate a lot of resentment against them. Once the milky way empires don't need Karinnes to stop Andromedeans they might start eyeing up Karinnes. Therefore Jason needs to maintain big stick foreign policy and for that he needs numbers.

That's why I want to have some population and fleet numbers;