Missing children(book 2/3 spoilers)

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
Dregrin
Novice

Missing children(book 2/3 spoilers)

Post by Dregrin »

So, during my regular re-reading of this book series I caught a curious paragraph at the beginning of book 2.

"Even now, the Marines
who had borne Jason’s first children were either pregnant, trying to get pregnant, or had already produced a child by another
Generation male. And they wouldn’t stop until they had borne three children by three different fathers, to maximize the effective
expansion of the gene pool."

This is probably just me being obsessive and craving more story but, I don't recall this ever being addressed later in the books and the story never seems to mention these additional children. also later the arc involving the chemical in the water that was preventing pregnancy for the girls on the strip seems to contradict this as well. So my question is whom among the marines had additional children and what is going on with them. They are not mentioned and i highly doubt the little half brother/sister of one of Jason's kids wouldn't be running around with the brat pack. I realize that this paragraph could also just be a forgotten story point that needs to potentially be removed/altered. Hoping Fel might fill in the blanks and feed my subjugation craving a bit more.
MartinK
Da'Shar

Re: Missing children(book 2/3 spoilers)

Post by MartinK »

Well, that was partly the plan before they started working on it at all. Partly it was probably also to simply shock the human out of Jason and get him to a more Faey mindset.

I also dare say that after each of those Marine females has one child by Jason, mentioning anything about this plan at all is rather counterproductive to getting another child by Jason. So mum's the word. ;-) Oh, and then there is the whole readability aspect as a story. I already can't keep all those names of children straight right now. And i doubt it will simply end with this chapter. So, apart from the prospective children already planned, introducing any other the dozens of other children and mentioning them whenever there is something going on at the strip will quickly end up in taking a quarter of a page simply with a mountain of names and get my head to explode. I definitely will NOT start reading a chapter while having a list of names and a short description whoever that name belongs to lying next to my reader.

I'd rather have interesting story to read than a list of the names that are going to need a kindergarden build in the near future. The only one that had more names - and especially more difficult to remember and associate ones - was George R. R. Martin. And he KILLED most of them OFF whenever he didn't need them anymore. God forbid any author picks up that terrible habit. I've read worse books than GRRMs - but i stopped reading his books because i absolutely can't stand getting the people i just started liking or at least finding interesting getting off'ed again and again. That is even worse than reading a book, loving a character and then getting told that it's not a series but a standalone book. Gah!

On the other hand, it just occurred to me that in a group of 20+ people you will always find splinter groups that are spending time with each other and only see others not in their group only at planned hours like class or some such. So, all those children won't automagically be close friends with any others. Still, whatever makes good story, i'll happily read it, Fel! :-)
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

The generation children are the only ones able to access these new VR games and networks. They might not be able to play the same war games Jason does, but they could have a more paint ball version just for kids. It would be great training for them just in case, both the syndicate and the consortiums, as well as races in the home Galaxy would be eagerfor access to them.
I can see a generation guild or gaming group being formed, their slight speed might be enough to give them a competitive edge.
.S.A.M.K.M
baengi
Initiate

Post by baengi »

They aren't missing. They are often spoken about, espacially in the last book. From what I remember they often talks about how a couple of the children feel left out because they still haven't awakened their talent, like Jari. At other moment it's said that the mother is taking a walk on the beach with her daughter/son.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I would love to see a kids science show happen on Kari's, possibly using tech or science from the archives.lots of potential trouble and opportunity.
.S.A.M.K.M