Conviction Ch 1 [Spoilers]

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Re: Conviction Ch 1 [Spoilers]

Post by kyli »

betatester wrote:
kyli wrote: I'm sure it could be broadcast far enough to reach a wormhole. And if it can't, that's what relays are for. The relay picks up the broadcast power and re-broadcasts it.
So you want to broadcast power to a wormhole & then a relay picks up that transmitted power and re broadcasts it. Where would you use that power? & why?.

I can only think up a scenario that would involve two deep space stargates(at least 10000km from any planetary gravity well) that would transmit that power and again a broadcast transmitter to broadcast that power on the other side of the wormhole. If you are using it to power ships then this is a horrible waste and inefficient method. One just needs to kill the receiving stargate or the broadcast transmitter on the other side and all the ships what were powered by it would be floating space junk.

I think the only scenario this setup would suit is if they needed to power nanites on the other side of the wormhole and even for that scenario; Karinnes should developed specialized stargates, small, portable & easily disposable stargates that would just allow them to just power nanites on the receiving side of the wormhole.-------------

------------Seriously though Karinne capital ships are under powered.
You ask what they do with the broadcast power and then a few paragraphs later you say that Karinne capital ships are under powered. Well it could boost the power of a capital ship for one. And I never said that ships using broadcast power would be using the broadcast power exclusively. They won't be powerless if the wormhole were destroyed. The power could be used to boost any ships' power if it needs it. If they need power for torsion diffusers or just to power all the other weapons on a capital ship while the GRAF cannon is charging, or anything else that might need extra power during a battle.
betatester wrote:So why would the karinnes need to put actual soldiers into a battlefield. I understand that the mecha perform best when the piloted by actual people physically instead of by remote commune. but by not putting people on a battlefield they would also save lives of actual karinne soldiers & house members and I understood that Jason was all about having the least number of casualities resulting from a battle.
If mecha performance efficiency was an issue just deploy larger numbers of mecha; afterall quantity is a quality of its own. And since Myleena has developed the sensor mesh matrix system that enables touch senses when wearing in a crusader armor; why not extend the system to the mecha's as well. That would enable riggers and pilots to get actual touch sense signals from the mecha; which in turn would result in better combat ability.
The reason they will have someone pilot the mecha physically is because of they want mindstrickers on the field. And the reason a rigger will perform better in the mecha is because in the mecha you're literary in a do or die situation. If they pilot it remotely, they know deep down that if their mecha is destroyed, they will still be safe. It's enough to effect their performance.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

kyli wrote:And the reason a rigger will perform better in the mecha is because in the mecha you're literary in a do or die situation. If they pilot it remotely, they know deep down that if their mecha is destroyed, they will still be safe. It's enough to effect their performance.
I rather doubt that!

If there is a question between loosing a life and loosing a mecha, i would always choose to loose a mecha. So what if its a bit more expensive after a fight? It isn't like Karis is too poor to build another mecha. That is a lot cheaper than loosing one of your own people.

If that was really all that was behind the 'better performance' then wouldn't your mecha drivers be even better if you put a loved one, his/her child for example, into the mecha? I bet that would get even better performance. Right before they try to assassinate you. ;-)
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

MartinK wrote:
kyli wrote:And the reason a rigger will perform better in the mecha is because in the mecha you're literary in a do or die situation. If they pilot it remotely, they know deep down that if their mecha is destroyed, they will still be safe. It's enough to effect their performance.
I rather doubt that!

If there is a question between loosing a life and loosing a mecha, i would always choose to loose a mecha. So what if its a bit more expensive after a fight? It isn't like Karis is too poor to build another mecha. That is a lot cheaper than loosing one of your own people.

If that was really all that was behind the 'better performance' then wouldn't your mecha drivers be even better if you put a loved one, his/her child for example, into the mecha? I bet that would get even better performance. Right before they try to assassinate you. ;-)
Of coarse you choose losing the mecha over the life! But they want mindstrickers in the field. If the performance were the only reason they don't operate mecha by remote, then I would have much rather had the pilot in a safe place to control it. But you want mindstrickers out there. Jacks can almost perfectly replicate the feel of being in the mecha and if the performance of a jacked rigger controlling a mecha by remote is still below a jacked rigger physically is the mecha, then the reason must be psychological since they both feel the same things physically. Another reason that remote piloting isn't as used is because of the chance of it being hacked. The Karinnes don't really have to worry about that because they have biogenics but, speaking of a hypothetical situation, if another empire had remotely piloted machines and the Karinnes wanted to hack them, then they could, especially with Kimdori help. It's not a risk most other empires will be willing take. They would have to have plenty of precautions in place and would probably have to keep the pilots nearby to make the signal harder to intercept and block/hack.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

Yay! San Antonio Finally gets a NFL football team. It only takes earth being invaded, the galaxy being invaded and the works of Fel for that fiction to become real! Now to find out if Jerry Jones ruined the Cowboys even more in Conviction's "history" than he has in real life.

J-Man5

p.s. can you guess that I am a San Antonio native and I am bit jaded in thinking that Jerry Jones will ever "allow" San Antonio to get a NFL franchise here?

p.p.s.
Thanks Fel!!!!
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

J-Man5 wrote:Yay! San Antonio Finally gets a NFL football team. It only takes earth being invaded, the galaxy being invaded and the works of Fel for that fiction to become real! Now to find out if Jerry Jones ruined the Cowboys even more in Conviction's "history" than he has in real life.

J-Man5

p.s. can you guess that I am a San Antonio native and I am bit jaded in thinking that Jerry Jones will ever "allow" San Antonio to get a NFL franchise here?

p.p.s.
Thanks Fel!!!!
I DID live in Austin, you know. I'm familiar with the nuances of the local politics. ;)

And we agree, Jerry Jones IS a cancer and a blight on Texas and the NFL in general.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

Fel wrote:
J-Man5 wrote:Yay! San Antonio Finally gets a NFL football team. It only takes earth being invaded, the galaxy being invaded and the works of Fel for that fiction to become real! Now to find out if Jerry Jones ruined the Cowboys even more in Conviction's "history" than he has in real life.

J-Man5

p.p.s.
Thanks Fel!!!!
I DID live in Austin, you know. I'm familiar with the nuances of the local politics. ;)

And we agree, Jerry Jones IS a cancer and a blight on Texas and the NFL in general.
So I have to know how it happened in the Subjugation universe? Did Jerry Jones get hit with a stray MPAC round? Did he leer too hard at one of the Faey marines? Or did his ego get released in some strange Faey experiment and it actually consumed him and then the Faey and Kimdori have to contain it and drop it into a singularity?

J-Man5
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

We know they have an expanded military, I wonder if they have inter service competitions.

I wonder how much of the military is also attending the academy.

How much of the confederacy uses remote control mech and fighters, the karrinnes can because their transmission means is far more secure. Can they even deploy those systems? It seems to me, it is likely those races immune or telepathic ly capable will be those most likely used to go against them.

We know that they need the diffuser, so those infiltrating nanites, will not only help to take out those systems, but learn them well enough to aid in their production.
.S.A.M.K.M
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

J-Man5 wrote:
Fel wrote:

J-Man5

p.p.s.
Thanks Fel!!!!

So I have to know how it happened in the Subjugation universe? Did Jerry Jones get hit with a stray MPAC round? Did he leer too hard at one of the Faey marines? Or did his ego get released in some strange Faey experiment and it actually consumed him and then the Faey and Kimdori have to contain it and drop it into a singularity?

J-Man5
So much hate. ;)

I honestly never thought of what I could do to Jerry Jones in the story. I shall let my evil consume me.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

Fel wrote:
J-Man5 wrote:
Fel wrote: And we agree, Jerry Jones IS a cancer and a blight on Texas and the NFL in general.

J-Man5
So much hate. ;)

I honestly never thought of what I could do to Jerry Jones in the story. I shall let my evil consume me.
Or he could end up in a special Christmas edition of an Evil MLP story. Dancing and wearing colorful outfits.

J-Man5
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I wonder if the karrinne could make a flying sleigh to mimic Santa.
.S.A.M.K.M