Inception 13 [Spoilers]

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
mjkj
Katzh-dashi

Inception 13 [Spoilers]

Post by mjkj »

I hope the hyperspace FTL drive will work.

It will be easy to set a hyperspace bridge in front of the Syndicate so that the ships crash into it and blow their engines leaving them stranded halfway between galaxies with blown engines...
Fel
Weavespinner

Re: Inception 13 [Spoilers]

Post by Fel »

mjkj wrote:I hope the hyperspace FTL drive will work.

It will be easy to set a hyperspace bridge in front of the Syndicate so that the ships crash into it and blow their engines leaving them stranded halfway between galaxies with blown engines...
"Hope," eh? So optimistic.

And setting a bridge in front of a fleet might sound like a good idea, until you consider the fact that it would be like putting up a strand of spider silk to catch a single gnat in a giant open field on a windy day.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I am hoping that while there are working on combining translight with hyperspace, they dont totally ignore the other alternate ftl system, that works by altering mass. Even if the system can not be refitted to act as a pseudo engine, a ftl launcher would still be useful for fighters, projectiles and missiles. Even if it is not, the protective aspects of the unique energy field are still very valuable.
They should share the basic forms of the alternate ftl systems to the confederation. WHile the indictor protection is very valuable, they will still seek ways around it, even potentially breaching it for themselves. THey know that a proper real time jump engine can jump out, and that the karrines can jump in. THe catapult offer a way to exit systems for all, and aid in linking them up. Hyperspace jumps were often used to short trip in the same system. The alternate ftl systems would be a good complement to the stargate and catapult systems. WIth a way to speed up in system travel, allows them the ability to enter and exit their own systems by themselves if truly need to. THey may still research ways around the indictor, but it would a be a far lesser priority.

If terra becomes so much more important, i dont see the claiming of venus and mars by a faey noble being allowed, as it threaten the system neutrality and independance. Best solution , offer that noble house the most favorable farming contract permanently for the terrforming already done, then hand over the planets to either be independant or part of earth. Mars being independant is very possible, i can see low gravity species from accros the confederation and beyond coming together.
FOr the gas planets, could they create orbital elevators and orbital rings to occupy them? terraform the atmosphere so to make floating cities possible, they could seed the atmosphere and clouds with life to create an eco system to sustain the atmosphere. If it can be proven to work in the sol system, then the whole confederation might attempt to copy them.
WHile terraforming of planets is rare due to the cost, could a catapult bridge pair, linking the target system with a system containing everything needed to terraform a planet make it cost effective?

THere is a tiny part of me that thinks the parri parri have a plot to take over the universe through the use of oye fruit. I hope their jedi like wisdom helps to convince the leaders to spare the civilians. THe consortium have a code of war, but apparently from fighting so long with the syndicate, they have become like them. SO using this argument that they dont wan to become the very evil they are fighting, so choose to not act the way they do, and spare the defencless.
.S.A.M.K.M
PhilippeO
Novice

Post by PhilippeO »

will be waiting for Conviction with hope and impatience.
discovering that they are far more cunning and dangerous than they ever imagined.

:D so far Syndicate is just galaxy-conquering evil corporation, it will be fascinating to see they developed further. Syndicate did successfully win war against clever opponent who have galaxy-spanning clairvoyance and possession; waiting to see Syndicate brilliance as Confederate opponent.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Honestly, this last chapter just answered for me what the Parri actually are.

They are the seeds of the oye trees. Or the larval stage, however you want to put it. Interesting in terms that the trees lives aren't propagated by the final form of the lifeform, but the second stage.

Likely only Shaman after they die become trees themselves.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

THey not only fought the energy beings with their varied powers, but their tech level was generally lower than the consortium, as they had stolen their tech from them. THe diffuser was apparently a game changer yet still with in their tech ability. THe only thing we know is that they are giants, they have giant ships, they are highly telepathic at around a third telepathic capable, and they are slaving race. SO iam wondering how they they had a stalemate before the difuser eliminated torsion weapons as a threat.

I wonder why the karrine diffuser is taking so long, the syndicate created it and their tech level if far less developed. SOmething in their tech base must allow them the ability to use the torsion defence on a large scale. i am betting they must still have secrets left to be found.

I am betting that he shaman can travel between the trees instantly.
.S.A.M.K.M
ettoren
Sorcerer

Post by ettoren »

Lochar wrote:Honestly, this last chapter just answered for me what the Parri actually are.

They are the seeds of the oye trees. Or the larval stage, however you want to put it. Interesting in terms that the trees lives aren't propagated by the final form of the lifeform, but the second stage.

Welcome to the Ender-Verse? I'm not certain if the Parri = Pequeninos. I think I might be slightly disappointed if this turns out to be the case.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

ettoren wrote:
Lochar wrote:Honestly, this last chapter just answered for me what the Parri actually are.

Welcome to the Ender-Verse? I'm not certain if the Parri = Pequeninos. I think I might be slightly disappointed if this turns out to be the case.
Allay your disappointment, the Parri aren't just "larval oye trees."

The Parri simply see far more than most other species, that's all. It's the oye trees that are the ones you need to watch.

They're sneaky.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

We know that the presence of oye tree and their shaman interfere in the sight of the energy beings, so will the various races of the confederation ask the parri parri, to plant an oye tree on every planet they can?

These trees are giant, i wonder if the parri parri, might allow from tree house settlements to be built in them. Nothing that would damage the tree of course, but allowing potentiall long term settlements to be formed. I see hanging baskets, platforms and decks built around the branches. I wonder what bonsai oye trees would be like, could allow ships and stations to gain protection and access for the parri parri.
.S.A.M.K.M
Catawk
Novice

Post by Catawk »

The Oye tree cant grow on other planets. I think the reason is because of the people who live there. The people of Karis seem closer to the parri in their way of thinking. I think the Oye trees can only grow in an enviroment like Karis where everyone cooperates and loves or respects each other.

I also think the Oye trees will help to keep karis like that with some kind of pyschic power they have.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

What about earth, or planets just getting terraformed?
.S.A.M.K.M
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

They are still there. What about them?
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

New terraformed worlds are just being born, so their spirits are just being formed. So no reason why oye trees can be planted there. Earth is a very dynamic world, with a boom in people, so an oye tree might fit in. THere are those regions affected by deforestation, so why not plant some special trees.
.S.A.M.K.M
ettoren
Sorcerer

Post by ettoren »

My take on the Oye Tree is that it is only capable of "Living" on a mostly conflict free and morally centered planet. Like Karis and their home world. There is a reason that they wont grow anyplace else. Karis is the only planet besides their original that they will grow on.

Karis is a morally centered planet driven by a leader who is dedicated to true peace, not just avoidance of conflict. The rest of the House has been virtually hand picked by the Kimdori to match that mind set.

I do not believe Terra would be a viable location for Oye tree's due to the planetwide attitude towards conflict. While they are making great strides towards the Karinne way of being, they are not even remotely close yet.
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

If i remember correctly, the fact that there are Parri that wished to settle on Karis was quite a shock to the Faey. It was the first time that the Parri actively sought out and moved to a planet that was not their own and actually planted Oye trees there. Nobody knows where Karis differs from other worlds. But then, the Parri were always mysterious.

I'm currently wondering why the Faey with their 'Conquering Spirit' would accept the word of the Parri when told that they could not take those trees and plant them on other worlds. Or even that they could not take those fruit and sell them on premium prices. After all, the Parri might be mysterious, but they wouldn't have been able to defend themselves half as good as the terrans. And those failed to stop the invasion same as the Parri.

If the Parri would have used... mystic arts to stop any sort of invasion, they would be locked at differently than is currently the case by the Faey.

Anyway, perhaps they somehow got the feeling that the future of the entire galaxy would be heavily influenced by the people on Karis and that the people there would actually listen to them if they choose to send people there as well. Either way, Earth has not rated any sort of visit, much less a settlement, of Parri. I doubt they will want to spread to any other world if they can avoid it. Otherwise, they would have done so already. They certainly do not seem to conquer the galaxy. ;-)
ettoren wrote:My take on the Oye Tree is that it is only capable of "Living" on a mostly conflict free and morally centered planet. Like Karis and their home world. There is a reason that they wont grow anyplace else. Karis is the only planet besides their original that they will grow on.

Karis is a morally centered planet driven by a leader who is dedicated to true peace, not just avoidance of conflict. The rest of the House has been virtually hand picked by the Kimdori to match that mind set.

I do not believe Terra would be a viable location for Oye tree's due to the planetwide attitude towards conflict. While they are making great strides towards the Karinne way of being, they are not even remotely close yet.
As a conquered species of the Faey Imperium, the home world of the Parri will certainly have a large number of Faey living there. No way would the Faey conquer a green, healthy planet and not put farms and cities there in high numbers. And where there are Faey, there will be conflict and moral questions.

Karis is also certainly not the perfectly peaceful and morally centered world that one might think. After all, there are many Faey and humans there. Every single species develops intelligence as an answer to both not loose their place in the foot chain to any other animal as well as perhaps take more space over from other species. As a consequence, you won't find many purely plant eaters among the intelligent species out there. After all, plants are everywhere. Hunting is much more complicated than simply being a cow. A plant eater also has to spend most up to all of their time eating plants. Meat eater have much more leisure time, since meat gives much more energy to you than plants.

Sooo, there will not be any huge conflicts on Karis. There will also be no big conflicts worth notice there since as you already said, the people are hand picked. But everywhere where there are more than two opinions there will be some sort of disagreement. Also, because Karis is essentially a huge melting pot of different species with their own culture, values and viewpoints that has never been tried before, it will certainly be quite lively and i wouldn't wonder about minor injuries when someone will be too enthusiastic about something. But they will manage those things better than everywhere else in the galaxy exactly due to their willingness to experience such a thing without unrealistic expectations.

Earth... will never be Karis, not even a shadow of it. On Karis you get only people that are first willing to go the necessary step further than everybody else, second that are willing to cut their ties to their old form of government and become part of the House of Karis with their whole heart and third, were tested and chosen by Kimdori to stay on the right path. Earth gets all sorts of spies, of species that come to simply work their and leave at the end of the day. There are also all those humans that have always lived there and now are quite unhappy about all those demons and monsters working where they should have gotten better paying jobs. And all those strange ideas about correct behavior in terms of running around naked or having sex in public. Unthinkable! Or religion! They have not only never heart of the one true God, they may not even believe in any sort of god at all! Really, all those crazies.

Which is why i'm wondering that Earth isn't more active in haggling with that house thats investing in terraforming of Venus and Mars. And/or is not doing terraforming on their own on a planet that is somewhere in a more quiet system without all that activity on earth. Seriously, i'm worrying about the species. All the others seem to have at least more than one single planet. Earth has become the... centerpoint of uncountable races and trade agreements. It has become the entrypoint of those complex systems of gates and hyperspace jammers. Really, would you like to live next to an airport?
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?