Unmanned Fighters

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
Catawk
Novice

Unmanned Fighters

Post by Catawk »

I was thinking about the system in the Juggernaut that allows for unmanned piloting, and was wondering if they could put that in a fighter. So that if pilots are forced to eject they can control the fighter to cover their escape or to send to fighter crashing into the enemy ship.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Re: Unmanned Fighters

Post by Wolfee »

Why not just copy the Juggernaut set-up and make the Wolf fighter capable of being a completely unmanned fighter if need be. Why limit it to just if they have to eject? The Juggernaut is setup to fight and entire battle if need be while unmanned, remotely controlled... Only makes sense to do so for the Wolf. Or better yet, cheaper throw-away fighters.
Catawk
Novice

Post by Catawk »

The reason i asked about ejecting is two fold. First im not sure how close a pilot need to be to operate their fighter with out the system. Second the reason I think they should do it this way is because it puts a telepath in the fighter. I think if they have non-telepath fighter pilots fly unmanned fighter they would be a great idea.
physicalard
Initiate

Post by physicalard »

If I remember correctly, the wolfs are two man fighters. Sometimes the pilot controls the fighter and the weapons officer controls the weapons. More frequently the pilot flies and controls the weapons, and the weapons officer attacks telepathically. This is the main reason why the Faey and thus Karinnes use so many fighters. To put the telepaths in range to attack and control their opponents.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

physicalard wrote:If I remember correctly, the wolfs are two man fighters. Sometimes the pilot controls the fighter and the weapons officer controls the weapons. More frequently the pilot flies and controls the weapons, and the weapons officer attacks telepathically. This is the main reason why the Faey and thus Karinnes use so many fighters. To put the telepaths in range to attack and control their opponents.
Correct.

Fighters are the backbone of Faey combat tactics, to get the telepaths within striking distance of their enemies.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

with hyper missiles, alternative ftl methods and interdiction, will we see development of missile doctrine? The varius form of ftl missiles allow for very long range battle, and ships indicted allow ship to fight beyond energy range. not just explosive missiles, but ecm and ew missiles, so the explosive ones are not harmed by counter fire.
.S.A.M.K.M