Inception, chapter 10 [Spoilers]

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
expedient
Mi'Shara

Inception, chapter 10 [Spoilers]

Post by expedient »

First there was the AK-47, then there was meatbag killing HK-47, now we have RK-47. :lol:

I do get the feeling that this operation at RJ-44 will not be entirely smooth running.
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
somni
Novice

Re: Inception, chapter 10 [Spoilers]

Post by somni »

I hope it goes too well for them! Then by their laws they have to surrender everything to Jason! I just really hope it goes awesomely well for them. I would have been a hell of a lot more pissed at Dahnai for listening in on him then he was. I was really surprised he let that shit slide. I also hope that the next few chapters are quickly done, and monstrously long.
ramouton
Sorcerer

Post by ramouton »

Will be interesting to see if there are additional consequences flowing from that eavesdropping incident with Dahnai.

As far as surprises in the battle are concerned, the only question I have is how fast can the swap to FTL drive.

If they can swap fast enough there might be some difficulty pulling off a flawless victory for the Karrinnes.
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

ramouton wrote:Will be interesting to see if there are additional consequences flowing from that eavesdropping incident with Dahnai.

As far as surprises in the battle are concerned, the only question I have is how fast can the swap to FTL drive.

If they can swap fast enough there might be some difficulty pulling off a flawless victory for the Karrinnes.
No problem there! Don't forget that they're inside the effects of the Inderdictor, so normal FTL won't work - so just as long as interdiction works on "hyper-light modulation,"Jason's crew will have 40 minutes of the Hrathari's fastest sublight speed (whatever that translates into) to work them over.

Hmm, my description "of the Hrathari's fastest sublight speed" sounds wrong - what I envision is that they would be dropped out of FTL at an equivalent of the distance that light would travel in 40 minutes (in other words - 40 light minutes or 40 X 60 X 186,000 miles), since they would have to use a sublight drive inside an interdictor field.
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
ettoren
Sorcerer

Post by ettoren »

Interdiction only works on HYPER Space. Does not work on FTL Drives. Despite both being Faster than Light travel methods they are not the same.

Rook is Awesome! Please make him a regular character! I thoroughly hope that the Karinnes are able to duplicate what happened with that Biogenic chip.
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

ettoren wrote:Interdiction only works on HYPER Space. Does not work on FTL Drives. Despite both being Faster than Light travel methods they are not the same.

Rook is Awesome! Please make him a regular character! I thoroughly hope that the Karinnes are able to duplicate what happened with that Biogenic chip.
The question remains. Is "hyper-light induction" a form of hyper space -- or isn't it? If it is, there will be lots of time to tackle the job, if it isn't they'd better be darn fast on the trigger!
K Pelle aka GBLW
somni
Novice

Post by somni »

I don't think that will be a problem. They're 2 to 1 on ship numbers. Then add in all the satellites, drones, fighters, solar collectors, Gladiators, and other 3D goodies. They all activate and fire at the same time your looking at 5 to 1 on Jason's side. They are thinking off only needing a 20% loss on the enemy side before they surrender..they should get that in less than 5 minutes...not to mention the "shock and awe" affect of it all. The problem I worry about is that their shields are going to be just a little too tough for the pulse cannons..which are close range backup anyway. I worry that since their political situation is so tough that pretty much 90% of all the people on those ships are not there of their own will. That will hurt Jason and his people more than physical damage...but it would give him a nice excuse to go in and clean up a shitty situation.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Trans-light drives WILL work inside an interdiction effect, both as sublight and FTL. They separate the ship from most physical laws, and while that does intrude a little bit into hyperspace (the ship actually enters an alternate hyperspace state that's still grounded in "normal" space, and the ship is visible as a tangible object in both hyperspace and normal space), it's not subject to interference from an interdictor. Interdictors attack an engine's ability to hold a ship in hyperspace by distorting hyperspace to such a degree that engines can't put out enough power to keep the ship in hyperspace. Trans-light drives ignore this effect, because they don't put the ship completely in hyperspace, only "sorta."

Trans-light drives exploit the duplicitous nature of light, which behaves as multiphased energy. It exists in all physical and quantum states at the same time despite their nature and condition and often both obeys and breaks multiple physical laws simultaenously, depending on the quantum state in which that light is operating. The engines force light around the ship into one of its alternate states that allows it to ignore certain physical laws, which carries the ship into that state with it...and yet, the ship is visible to people in all other states. Once in that state, the engines induce movement by modulating the light field around the ship, which allows the engines to move the ship both in sublight conditions and FTL conditions.

Trans-light drives are the most sophisticated, fastest, and energy efficient of all the various forms of FTL drive technology in the Subjugation universe, and the Karinnes will learn a great deal from taking one apart and studying it. Things that might have an impact further down the line.... (hint hint hint)

Just so you know.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

Fel wrote:Trans-light drives are the most sophisticated, fastest, and energy efficient of all the various forms of FTL drive technology in the Subjugation universe, and the Karinnes will learn a great deal from taking one apart and studying it. Things that might have an impact further down the line.... (hint hint hint)
There's a lot of that kind of thing appearing in the story at the moment...
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

question to fel about rook : can additional matter can be grown or attached to the existing chip without disrupting it ? to give rook more space to evolve ?
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Not directly to his chip, but Cybi isn't just her core crystal either. New chips can be added to his systems to expand his capabilities.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
The Thing
Initiate

Post by The Thing »

I noticed something in the stories of fel that there are no 'comic-specific' characters anywhere in the stories. Characters whose only purpose is of comic release. I agree that these stories are not too serious and hence might not need much humorous content, and also that there are these light moments between the regular characters themselves. But, this case with rook sets up a perfect scenario for fel to do so if he's interested in. May be there can be another malfunctioning chip, a bit more larger/powerful which can learn a lot quicker than rook. Its not always necessary that a malfunctioning biogenic chip has to mutate to a smarter being. Rather it can mutate to a more loose character and with it having a higher learning rate can end up skipping learning of all the 'no non-sense' info and end up a comedian. Your opinion ? :D
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

Fel wrote:Not directly to his chip, but Cybi isn't just her core crystal either. New chips can be added to his systems to expand his capabilities.
why not if i may ask ? as as what written the karinnes have technology to manipulate matter on the atomic scale (by whats written it used in manufacturing CBIMs core crystal) so why can it bu used to attached or grow additional unprogrammed biogenic matter to rooks existing structure without damaging it if i may ask ?
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Fel wrote:(Trimmed)Trans-light drives exploit the duplicitous nature of light, which behaves as multiphased energy. It exists in all physical and quantum states at the same time despite their nature and condition and often both obeys and breaks multiple physical laws simultaenously, depending on the quantum state in which that light is operating.(trimmed)
I have a minor problem with that, mostly because I was always taught that while light DOES have a duplicitous nature, ie wave vs particle - in this instance I would expect it to behave as a particle in that it is influenced by gravity. I won't go into the physics of the matter, because after all we are talking about fiction here and it is your tale in your universe and you can bend the rules to match your needs. :lol:
However, now that I understand a little more about where your universe's laws of physics are coming from, you have my interest at a peak, so I'll quietly quit arguing and just enjoy the story.
K Pelle aka GBLW
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

GBLW wrote:light DOES have a duplicitous nature, ie wave vs particle
Fel has expanded elsewhere that light behaves in even more complex ways in the high energy of hyperspace.

If this trans-light field is similar to creating a bubble of artificial space-time then this might be the solution for preventing hyperspace synesthesia in Generations. I'm excited to see how all these bits and pieces will fit together to get the Karinnes over the next energy state to travel faster than real-time in hyperspace.

Of course on the other hand, most of the defensive strategy of using interdictors is starting to look weak with wormholes, warp drives, better hyperdrives and trans-light drives able to bypass them.