Possibilities?

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Re: Possibilities?

Post by kyli »

Cybi can commune and she has telekinetic abilities as well.  Is it possible for a CBIM to have more psychic abilities?  What would happen if a CBIM were to have precognitive or clairvoyance abilities?

How precise is telekinetic abilities?  Can it affect matter on an atomic level?  If so, it could be used as a devastating weapon, but it could also be very useful in science research.  Telekinetic abilities can affect space.  Could telekinesis, with enough power, create an artificial wormhole?

In chapter six, Fel wrote that any race with any psychic abilities also had telepaths.  That telepathy was almost the “baseline” for psychic powers.  So either that statement is incorrect or some of the energy beings also have telepathic abilities.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
The Thing
Initiate

Post by The Thing »

I have a question regarding Cybi. Couldn't start a new topic for it, hence asking it here.

In several books it has been stated several times that Cybi is the last CBIM, whose failure might lead to the loss of all the Karinne technology/intelligence. We now know that from books 5 & 6 that a new CBIM is being done up and now the core crystals are being grown. By that info we can infer that CBIM works similar our current computer technology.

So my question is this. If the technology follows a similar line, then why can't Cybi just have a 'back-up hard disc' kind of back up system to just store the current information she has with her for future CBIM even if she fails ? The info need not be accessible for all, but can be accesses as a read-only for the Generations to access and built a replacement CBIM and then continue their data collection ?

Sorry if this a repeat question or I sound a bit naive regarding this universe's technology, but couldn't any post addressing this topic. Thanks in advance for anyone who clarifies this.
Disclaimer: I have no F'in idea if the technical mumbo jumbo I spew on here is even logically right or possible. Read at your own caution.
ettoren
Sorcerer

Post by ettoren »

The type and amount of data that Cybi is storing can only be held within another CBIM. Some of the data she has even Jason is unaware of and should not be distributed or accessible by anyone. She is holding onto millenia's worth of data from the prior House of Karrine. Just to have a realistic storage area for all of the data would require it to be another CBIM. Cybi was originally designed to be the Emergency Response CBIM and Last line of defense for the knowledge she contained. It's why her core is out in the boondocks and is able to be lowered into the mantle of the planet. She was not specifically designed to perform the tasks she is currently performing. It's yet one more of the reasons she is so adamant that they get more CBIM's operational. Both to storehouse the Data she holds and also so she can let a purpose built CBIM handle some of her current workload.

If I remember correctly Cybi desires a CBIM for each of the major cities on the planet, one for Research and Development, One for Kosigi and she also wanted one for the Academy but as that is no longer on Karis has waved that desire but I think she wants one on Karis for Academics as well.

Jason has stated that Cybi will be moved into a location in Karsa and will maintain her position as "Heart of the House" with another CBIM being purpose built to replace her as the Emergency Response CBIM and Last line of Defense.

Many of the functions of the desired CBIM's are currently being fulfilled by house members and Cybi is taking up the slack when and where she can.
The Thing
Initiate

Post by The Thing »

ettoren : Thanks a lot for that clarification.

Looking forward to what sort of personalities Fel develops for the other CBIMs and fervently hoping to see them before this book ends.

This series seems to fascinate me, especially the technology part since the options to toy around with the logic are huge. Had another curious thought.

Members of this universe are adept at writing bio engineered viruses that infect specific persons. Combine that with the Moridonian coding skills and it is a very formidable weapon. Now let's apply the same thought with a sinister plot in mind. :twisted:
Lets assume that the biogenic crystals themselves cannot be affected so, since other than the Karinnes ( and obviously the Kimdori , Duh !!) nobody knows (and will never know) how the coded DNA is structured in crystals for it to be infected. But what if there is an airborne bio virus that can use the Generations as a proxy carriers ? These viruses might just be passive when inside the living beings, but get activated when the person comes in contact with a gestalt and using that link as an uplink uploads a virulent code to CBIMs which in turn infects and corrupts the crystal's DNA of all the other biogenic crystals its tracking ? ( Got the idea from mixing the earlier challenges to both Jason and Rahne :wink: )

Cant this be used as a way for the arch enemies of Karrines ( Hint: Former terra owners ) to not only bring down the house but also to destroy their technological superiority ? :?:
Disclaimer: I have no F'in idea if the technical mumbo jumbo I spew on here is even logically right or possible. Read at your own caution.
nicolai
Da'Shar

Post by nicolai »

Something that occurred to me ... Generations may want to be jacked, too. Some of them, at least. Mainly, obviously, to deal with hyperspace, especially if they're jumping with a jacked crew. Admitted, it won't happen often, but it is possible. There may be other benefits, too.

Jason, and Rann as heir apparent (when he's old enough), are fairly obvious since they will be traveling off Karis and outside the stargate network.
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I rememer that there was trouble intergrating two types of computer, biogenic and something else. What if you used a jacked generation? the jack links the other computing system, while the generation communes with the biogenic systems. might not be perfect but it could be useful.
.S.A.M.K.M
The Thing
Initiate

Post by The Thing »

Yes, even I was wondering the same thing. But I was thinking about it from a different way of understanding it. We all know that either through jacking or through communion, there is a data transfer between the computer and the Generation. Yes, I know communion can be used ONLY by biogenic computers but, since most Generations use biogenic chips always, lets say that data can be transferred in the same way. Now, since its data transfer, we can apply the analogy of our internet.

Communion -> Data transfer through Wi-Fi
Jack -> Data transfer through LAN cable

so technically, can both types of data transfers be used at the same time to dump in more data ( higher bandwidth ? ) into the brain hence allowing higher interaction rate between the computer and the Generation ? Of course yes, we need some sort of way to stitch the different packets of data from the two inputs to merge them to a single stream of comprehensible data, but still it provides new avenues into improving the Generations' ability to a higher level.

so, my question to fel is, is my analogy right and will we be seeing jacked generations in the future or, if not, atleast an experiment on only one single to Generation figure out what happens and why it happens when you jack a Generation ?
Catawk
Novice

Post by Catawk »

I dont think that is correct. I think that the way the generations senses interact with the biogentics is different then how a normal persons interact. So a generation using a jack with a biogentic chip would be the same as one using a gelast. It might be different if they used the lesser jacks they gave the other races, but im unsure if the interaction is different for them.
PhilippeO
Novice

Post by PhilippeO »

Something that occurred to me ... Generations may want to be jacked, too. Some of them, at least. Mainly, obviously, to deal with hyperspace, especially if they're jumping with a jacked crew. Admitted, it won't happen often, but it is possible. There may be other benefits, too.

wondering about this too. there are some Generations that serve in KMS, if they cannot be jacked, then they will lose their career when Navy make jack mandatory. if CBIM could be installed in command ship, their operators also will need to be jacked, CBIM will be less useful if Generations operators have to "follow-up" with different and slower ship.
she also wanted one for the Academy but as that is no longer on Karis has waved that desire but I think she wants one on Karis for Academics as well.

restriction that CBIM and Generations to live at Karis is very limiting, some Generation might want to be lecturer or student on person in Earth someday. why not copy Jason method ? assign every Generation off-Karis several Marine Guard as bodyguard, there are not that many Generations, and it will help Generations who want to work off-Karis, whether at Academy, various Confederate office, or Karinne embassy.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

The Thing wrote:Yes, even I was wondering the same thing. But I was thinking about it from a different way of understanding it. We all know that either through jacking or through communion, there is a data transfer between the computer and the Generation. Yes, I know communion can be used ONLY by biogenic computers but, since most Generations use biogenic chips always, lets say that data can be transferred in the same way. Now, since its data transfer, we can apply the analogy of our internet.

Communion -> Data transfer through Wi-Fi
Jack -> Data transfer through LAN cable

so technically, can both types of data transfers be used at the same time to dump in more data ( higher bandwidth ? ) into the brain hence allowing higher interaction rate between the computer and the Generation ? Of course yes, we need some sort of way to stitch the different packets of data from the two inputs to merge them to a single stream of comprehensible data, but still it provides new avenues into improving the Generations' ability to a higher level.

so, my question to fel is, is my analogy right and will we be seeing jacked generations in the future or, if not, atleast an experiment on only one single to Generation figure out what happens and why it happens when you jack a Generation ?
There's literally only one reason that a Generation would get a jack, and that's to avoid hyperspace sickness. Communion is vastly superior to a jack for communication and control, because the Generation operates in "parellel mode" while a jack operates in "serial mode." The jack's ability to move data is restricted by the jack, where a Generation doesn't have this cap on data transfer rate or speed.

To put it in layman's terms, a jack is a single bus where the jack controller has to prioritize and move data from multiple processes along that single bus, but a Generation's ability to commune is like having multiple buses that can move all that data at once. Remember, the connection from the jack to the brain is along conventional data fiber, and that's a single bus of data transfer. Generations aren't restricted like this.

Would a jack make the input faster? Well, if you have 200 buses for data transfer and you add 1 more, you DO get a very slight performance increase...but was it worth the cost and effort to do the upgrade?
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Lokis Advisor
Initiate

Post by Lokis Advisor »

If the Generations have so much more bandwidth with communion then surely you could do a update to the gestalts to generate a masking signal delivered via communion during hyperspace thus giving the generations the same effect?
Enjoy the time you spend having someone else expand your mind.
The Thing
Initiate

Post by The Thing »

Fel wrote:
Would a jack make the input faster? Well, if you have 200 buses for data transfer and you add 1 more, you DO get a very slight performance increase...but was it worth the cost and effort to do the upgrade?
First of all, thanks for the reply and for the clarification. It was simplified enough for me understand it. You say that Generations' connections to a computer in comparison to the jack is FAR better and superior. Ok, for now, its as you say. Other than that, at this moment, other than boosting their Telepathic/TK powers, there doesn't seem to be no other significant advantages IMO. Yes, they are needed to commune with the biogenics but the biogenics were created for the purpose of interfacing a computer with a living being !! ( which the jacks do ). Also, if you argue that the biogenics were created to form a sentient computer and the Generations were a side effect of trying to communicate with them, then at the current time line, Cybi can talk to other moleculatronic computers and via them through the jacks with the normal folks. Yes, jacks have a very low rate of data transfer but with further research, ( now that we know that jacking wont affect the talent) those limitations can be pushed higher, may be even closer to the gestalt rate. Also, now Cybi can communicate/interact with non-generations too. So if we can find some way to negate/replicate the talent boosting ability of biogenics then the Generation superiority becomes invalid ( at least from the faey point of view, since they dont know much about the Kimdori involvement).

Sorry, please don't think I am criticizing your work but I just find these things interesting to discuss/argue over and love to get your opinion about it. I just want to see the clear definition of the Generations' 'superiority' over the other races.
PhilippeO wrote:
restriction that CBIM and Generations to live at Karis is very limiting, some Generation might want to be lecturer or student on person in Earth someday. why not copy Jason method ? assign every Generation off-Karis several Marine Guard as bodyguard, there are not that many Generations, and it will help Generations who want to work off-Karis, whether at Academy, various Confederate office, or Karinne embassy.
I was thinking of a even better option for this. Put up all the tech needed for a CBIM such as projectors/cams etc etc all over terra in moleculatronic form which a CBIM can access and control. Then put the CBIM on a big ship in orbit over terra !! Instant protection !! Since there are a lot of ships of other races there to protect terra, they will also do the same for the CBIM. If any one of them, themselves attack, it can always just jump out of the interdiction. And EVEN if it gets captured, it can always send its data to the CBIMs over at Karis for backup and blow itself up taking along with it the attacking force also. And there won't be any planetary damage and minimal loss of innocent life.
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

[quote="Rabblerouser"]In a series called 'The Synchronicity War' the author (D Wehr) uses RTC. This is where messages or visions are sent back into time to a specific individual. But only the individual who sent it can receive it. I wonder if the Parri have something similar to this as 'Talent' has no mass and as such may possibly be used to send messages back in time.[/quote]

Bah, i really hope we don't cross over into that whole time travel/send message back in time thing. Lets leave that to Star Trek. At the beginning of the Synchronicity War books, it was still interesting. The focus went from "lets fight a huge battle and win" to "lets find a way to fight a battle without them finding out how we did it so or whenever we try to fight a battle, it will just be another ambush by the enemy" - which of course goes the other way around as well. That quickly began being boring. And it got a lot worse when the author started just killing huge junks of humanity with half the important characters just so that the rest could fight a next to hopeless fight until they got the idea to send back a certain message in time and voila, we are back in the world where humanity is still alive and kicking and they just have to die all over again.

I removed the Synchronicity War from my list of series where i wait on the next book to come out. If the Parri would have a capability like that, the story would quickly degenerate into ambush after successful ambush and the only way an enemy could remain halfway dangerous to keep the story interesting would be to give them a similar ability. Or to let the Parri keep that ability to themselves and let a log of people die - which wouldn't fit with their benevolent behavior up to now.

I hate time traveling. It makes anything bad that happens irrelevant. Planet got killed? Jump back in time and stop it. Plague got started? Find patient zero, go back in time and kill that one before the plague starts. Your milk went bad? Jump back in time and tell yourself not to buy that much milk in the first place.

Few books or movies managed to keep the story interesting after going into this whole time travel thingie. And those that did still had to invent a lot of restrictions and ways to deal with those pesky paradoxes.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Fel wrote:Would a jack make the input faster? Well, if you have 200 buses for data transfer and you add 1 more, you DO get a very slight performance increase...
*ahem* Would it? Are we talking about something that gets a better result with more bandwidth? Or would faster reaction times be just a factor of latency?

In which case - according to in-story physics, communion is going to be faster (since it's FTL).

'course, the slow bit is the grey-matter between the ears.
Human nervous systems are incredibly slow at transmitting some information. If you want to be tripped out - listen to RadioLab - Season 11, Episode 4: Speed. http://www.radiolab.org/story/267124-speed/
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

THere is a race that is crazy about cybernetic enhancements, so i wonder if there are other races interested in other body modifications. It could lead to trans humanistic upgrades. THe feay are very vain, that is why they are not fond of the cybernetics upgrade, but what about modifications beneath the skin.
I found this site
http://www.ambient.ca/cpunk/morninmanbioware.html

Alot of these are interior alterations, and the exterior ones, could be artisticly beautiful.
.S.A.M.K.M