Inception Ch 9 (spoilers)

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
artreus
Sorcerer

Inception Ch 9 (spoilers)

Post by artreus »

As glad as i am to see Belgium mentioned in sience fiction,
it doesn't fit in that row of 'colonial' powers fighting each other.

Belgium was a 'territory' to Spain / (Austria) / France / Holland till 1830 by which time most colonial wars where probably over.
( not counting the 'independance wars' that would be waged in the 19th and 20th century)
We 'got' our first and only colony some years later under our second king probably as a present from France and England while they where dividing Africa on the drawing table.

And nothing in our (public) history mentions any wars fought in Congo against other european colonial countries.
Rabblerouser
Novice

Re: Inception Ch 9 (spoilers)

Post by Rabblerouser »

Just wondering about employment on Earth. You have Kirri commuters now moving to Earth seeking work but I haven't heard anything about immigration control or Boarder control etc. Does Earth have a shortage of workers? As the de Facto Capital is Earth undergoing a mini boom? Does Earth get access to Karinne resources at cost?
artreus
Sorcerer

Post by artreus »

do i miss something special about skin to skin contact where jason is concerned ???

'That was mainly so he couldn’t accidentally make skin to skin contact with any of the Grand Duchesses of the Siann. '
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

artreus wrote:do i miss something special about skin to skin contact where jason is concerned ???

'That was mainly so he couldn’t accidentally make skin to skin contact with any of the Grand Duchesses of the Siann. '
If I remember correctly, skin to skin contact between two telepaths allows full communication and Jason has too many secrets that members of the court would like to know.
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Yep, skin to skin contact vastly amplifies a telepath's ability. Jason is too wary to allow the highly trained Grand Duchesses of the Siann that kind of opportunity. He may be the strongest male telepath in the Imperium, but he's also not cocky. He knows that there are telepaths out there that could eat him for breakfast.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

Fel wrote:Yep, skin to skin contact vastly amplifies a telepath's ability. Jason is too wary to allow the highly trained Grand Duchesses of the Siann that kind of opportunity. He may be the strongest male telepath in the Imperium, but he's also not cocky. He knows that there are telepaths out there that could eat him for breakfast.
Jason is carrying around his own "boost" with his gestalt and a tactical gestalt nearby. Would this not put him beyond even the most powerful faey? Or is he just being extra paranoid/cautious?
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Overconfidence is the express bus to fail.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I have always wondered why the imperium has not been courting the smaller empires into imperium, to expand peacefully. Now it is a priority to gain at least one of those six new empires. MPACs which have been their military ace in the whole, are far more easily countered with the ion tech. If those empires join the confederacy, the tech will will spread, causing them to have tech parity, or even placed at a disadvantage if the their defensive measures are exceptionally effective. So they need to get full access to this new field, to find weaknesses or improve their own weaponry. The best and most complete way would be for them to make a deal to get full access to scientists, infrastructure and industry relating to the tech.
.S.A.M.K.M
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

Fel wrote:Overconfidence is the express bus to fail.
Yes, he is really going out there with some of his protections if not quite to Aya levels.

The big sleeves had me imagining Jason in a traditional Han Chinese set of robes.

I'm guessing that some combination of 1) all the extra power in the mark II battleships, 2) the new tugs, 3) the hyperspace catapults and 4) observations from the neutron star collision will lead to the Karinnes discovering faster hyperspace travel.
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
Rabblerouser
Novice

Post by Rabblerouser »

I am wondering if the star collision will enable the development of a system that can 'nudge' planets into a different orbit. This would be similar to Centerpoint Station in Star Wars. Altering a planets orbit would enable the terraforming of more planets within existing boundaries.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I was wondering, if the one way wormhole gate might be useful for deployment. THe karrines detected the wormhole being opened in their system, but would they have detected it at long distances. it seems a great way by deploying ships with out the enemy seeing the movements of them
.S.A.M.K.M
Wicketklown001
Sorcerer

Post by Wicketklown001 »

Maybe if it were stable, the major drawback is its instability. Jason would never sign off on it for any of his people, though if another empire were capable of it they might. The Skaa would probably jump on it since they seem willing to risk high odds for success, but I don't think they have the tech base to build a system like that.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

THey sent ships half way to another Galaxy in a rush built wormhole device, a properly built one could be far more useful. Even if they cant send maned ships through, one of the advantages the confederation has over the syndicate and consortium is that all their infrastructure is in this galaxcy. THey could build a one way stargate, and launch unmanned weapon systems and probes through it at the enemy, totally undetected at long distances. It would mean they need patrols and outposts every where, or they risk infiltrators into their security.
You could even fire railgun rounds through it, causing untold damage.
There are a couple of hyperdrive engines out there. THere is the one where jumps take days out side of the ship, they jump in real time, jump out of indiction and into indiction.
Before the consortium gained real time jumping, they had a catapult to aid them in traveling. I wonder if a hyperspace catapult can allow a ship to enter or exit an indiction field, if customised to do so? That would give house karrine options as stargates are a patented imperial technology.
When will we see the mass negation ftl used? We know it can be used in a catapult, can it be shrunk for projectiles, missiles or even shrunk? hyperspace has catapults, so i wonder if this new ftl system could be made into an engine?
.S.A.M.K.M
miraborn
Da'Shar

Post by miraborn »

NASA Goddard has just published a new visualization of what would happen when a pair of Neutron Stars collide.

The description has a lot of detail, which in a nutshell state that the two stars, each a bit more massive than our sun and only about 12 miles in diameter, create a black hole in a matter of a few milliseconds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw2sLcyV7Vc
Rabblerouser
Novice

Post by Rabblerouser »

Thanks for that. Unfortunately most of the detail was in the comments section and not on the video itself which slowed me down a tad. Thanks for revealing to me that channel!