Secession chap 3

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Secession chap 3

Post by dellstart »

Wow, fel that was one hell of well written chappie. Shit has well & truly hit the fan. Big wake up call for our boy wonder. Universe is a lonely place.
Lots of unanswered questions, like what to do with Earth, to say the very least.
lagomilo
Sorcerer

Re: Secession chap 3

Post by lagomilo »

3 of Jason's women should be pregnant(1 by Tim). Where do they stand??
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Take it a step futher , what about little Ranns engagement to the princess, just to take an example.lots of messy situations to solve.
lagomilo
Sorcerer

Post by lagomilo »

Another question? why can't you have a small stargate that will fit in a large ships cargo bay?
miraborn
Da'Shar

Post by miraborn »

With the order to lock down Karis, supported by Jason, Miaari, Cybi, and the Denmother, how will this impact the upcoming summit? The summit was going to be a chance for all the leaders to see and learn more about Karis and the Karinnes. The change in security posture will definitely change how things will go, if the summit even goes forward.

Regarding Shya, I think we might see that spunky little girl quickly grow a set of ovaries and oppose her mother, abandoning Merrane and siding with the Karinnes - possibly before/during/right after the summit. And then comes the abduction of Jason's imperial child as soon as it is born... those Kimdori will have quite a lot of work to do inside the palace.

-M
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

lagomilo wrote:Another question? why can't you have a small stargate that will fit in a large ships cargo bay?
For two reasons.

Stargates are huge because they both have incredible power requirements and also because trying to warp space to that degree requires a large affected area. Trying to warp a small area of space to extreme degrees produces the Torsion effect. To get around that, the Stargates have to warp a very large area of space to enough of a degree to create an artificial wormhole without it destroying anything that goes through it. There's no theoretical upper limit to the size of a Stargate, but there IS a minimum circumference requirement to make the wormhole stable and safe to pass through.

This may seem a bit counter-intuitive, but that's spatial warping science for you. It has its own rules.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

miraborn wrote:With the order to lock down Karis, supported by Jason, Miaari, Cybi, and the Denmother, how will this impact the upcoming summit? The summit was going to be a chance for all the leaders to see and learn more about Karis and the Karinnes. The change in security posture will definitely change how things will go, if the summit even goes forward.

Regarding Shya, I think we might see that spunky little girl quickly grow a set of ovaries and oppose her mother, abandoning Merrane and siding with the Karinnes - possibly before/during/right after the summit. And then comes the abduction of Jason's imperial child as soon as it is born... those Kimdori will have quite a lot of work to do inside the palace.

-M
yep thier work is cut out for them.
miraborn
Da'Shar

Post by miraborn »

Fel wrote:
lagomilo wrote:Another question? why can't you have a small stargate that will fit in a large ships cargo bay?
For two reasons.

Stargates are huge because they both have incredible power requirements and also because trying to warp space to that degree requires a large affected area. Trying to warp a small area of space to extreme degrees produces the Torsion effect. To get around that, the Stargates have to warp a very large area of space to enough of a degree to create an artificial wormhole without it destroying anything that goes through it. There's no theoretical upper limit to the size of a Stargate, but there IS a minimum circumference requirement to make the wormhole stable and safe to pass through.

This may seem a bit counter-intuitive, but that's spatial warping science for you. It has its own rules.
Would it be possible to build the frame in such a way that it can be folded up? As I see it, the biggest issue is physical size, not mass. If the stargate frame can be designed to be an articulating structure, it could be folded up into a vastly smaller space, and thus possibly be easier to tow. I can think of several mechanisms which might be used to enable a large structure to be made small for transport. The frame could integrate hinges which could then fold up. Or the frame could be made as a lattice which could be compressed such as was used for the International Space Station's main solar arrays. The biggest issue here is related to the electrical and mechanical structures within the stargate's frame and how much flexibility they would have, which would determine how much folding, twisting, and articulating could be achieved to allow for transport, while then being unfolded and locked into a rigid structure for use.

-M
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Theoretically, sure, they could break down a Stargate, but it's so much work to put it back together, it's easier to just get a big ship to tow it. That way, you can put it right into service when it gets there...or at least start the linking process. That does take a while. ;)

The ring of a Stargate isn't a delicate little thing. The ring hold equipment and power plants all around, and the average ring cross-section is a good 500 meters in diameter. Stargates are BIG.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
miraborn
Da'Shar

Post by miraborn »

Fel wrote:Theoretically, sure, they could break down a Stargate, but it's so much work to put it back together, it's easier to just get a big ship to tow it. That way, you can put it right into service when it gets there...or at least start the linking process. That does take a while. ;)

The ring of a Stargate isn't a delicate little thing. The ring hold equipment and power plants all around, and the average ring cross-section is a good 500 meters in diameter. Stargates are BIG.
Thanks for the clarification.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Well Since the Obious is true .....you won't be taking a full together Stargate through a Stargate it would seem the thing to do

would be to mate all the systems of a Ship into a Stargate and make it moveable.

Not sure why you would but then maybe i just haven't thought up an idea that has needs for it yet

Hey Fel since your answering some questions .... When will we finally see Cybi ver#2 or the other Cybi's come online?

the only other question i would ask is (with out you giving up any big info)
Does Denmother Still have several Dark secrets she hasn't told Jason yet?
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
miraborn
Da'Shar

Post by miraborn »

Phantom wrote:the only other question i would ask is (with out you giving up any big info)
Does Denmother Still have several Dark secrets she hasn't told Jason yet?
I think the answer to this is a definitive YES!!!

Remember this quote from the end of Tribulation:
Tribulation Chapter 9 wrote:The large, black-furred Kereth stood beside her projection within the room, having delivered his final report to her in person, as she had commanded. He stood there with arms folded, tail swishing absently as he looked at the image of Jason, then glanced at Cybi. “You don’t have to worry about him, Cybi,” he assured her. “He may suffer an occasional minor headache, but no other side effects.”
“How long will it take?”
“Three to five months,” he replied. “If Songa catches it in its early stages, she might try to interfere.”
“I have access to her medical scanners. She will not catch it.”
“Just keep a close watch on him. You know how volatile Generation DNA can be when it’s forcibly manipulated. The long history of cancer in his family is a glaring indicator of that. Make sure you scan him for cancer at least once a week. It will appear quickly and spread like wildfire within him.”
“No. Jason is the most compatible with me. We have the strongest merge. For this to work, it had to be him. The safety of the house depends on it.”
“But the risk. If we lose him, the house will fall apart.”
“I have every confidence in your skill, friend Kereth,” she answered easily. “We also cannot afford to lose him if he must merge with me again to defend the planet. I will not see him harmed by my hand again, even if it was accidental.”
He had forbade her to restart the Program. This was not the Program, but altering her Grand Duke’s DNA to heal him of the flaw that harmed him in the merge would certainly fall within those restrictions, should he know what she was doing. For his own good, she would keep this secret.
If Cybi is able to call upon Kereth to perform additional genetic modification on Jason, the Denmother is sure to find out about it, if she doesn't already know... However, that also raises the question, does Denmother know? How about Miaari? Secrets within Secrets. There are a Lot of as-yet unanswered questions... even some unasked questions.

-M
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

This is proably going to be on the top of jasons playlist. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt45zKEmh9M
My little one pointed this one out to me.Pretty good song.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Just wondering.... if and when the Karinnes break away from the Imperium, who will go with him?

Trillane you think. They had always wanted to be away too. The Suralles and the Mob? It will lead to a whole break up of the Imperium.
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Javna
Katzh-dashi

Post by Javna »

The Karinnes of old didnt break away, the just removed them self in isolation. And my guess is Jason wont do the same, close but not the same. The attacking forces makes that impossible.
If jason cuts himself off he risk letting the rest of the galaxy burn just so he can protect his secrets and I dont think he will do that.

Oh he's going to make them very very sorry thou =)
There's a fine line between genius and madness.
Me I crossed the line long ago