Faey/Alien race

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
Quinn31
Initiate

Faey/Alien race

Post by Quinn31 »

So do you think that we'll come across beings like the Faey or something like the other races in the story in our life time? They don't have to exactly be life the faey but have the same out look and sorts. And how would you truly act if they appeared tomorrow? Me it would depend on who got here first faey like people or the ethereals (consortium). If faey like people got here first I wouldn't mind it at all, hell I'd probably more fascinated then anything else, course they'd probably get pissed off if i kept invading their comfort zone lol. the open relationship part wouldn't bother me one bit. now for the ethereals that I'd would take at a different angle it would depend on how they approached us if they did like in the story I'd be up in arms and waiting to put a few rounds through some heads. assuming they didn't use the bugs hahaha then I might as well find a deep mine and just hide for a long while.

what would you do?
Mistra
Katzh-dashi

Re: Faey/Alien race

Post by Mistra »

highly unlikely to ever happen due to the sheer size of the universe, so the chance of aliens landing on earth are rather slimm to start with.

Even if any type of alien got here, and they want to take over earth, think for a second...
they have the technological capability of interstellar travel. humanity would be outmatched to the point of it being ridiculus.

if they want our resources: we're dead, a sufficiently advanced race has no need for slave labour, if they can travel the stars, they can build robots and kill all living things on the surface. They'll take some samples and terraform earth to suit their needs. (irl there's no such thing as gora's law)

if they just want to dominate for the sake of domination: they wouldn't be here, race that warlike wouldn't make it off their home planet.

if they want to be friends: there's no need to go up in arms against them, these aliens will share tech because they happen to have morals similar to humans... expect a hillbilly to shoot and kill the first one leaving their ship without armor and get the whole human race killed anyway.
Bester
Sorcerer

Post by Bester »

John Ringo put it best when he said "Aliens are alien." If you look at the different types of animals on Earth you can see a wide range of basic behavior, and the type of social behavior that you see from humans is just one more type, albeit a bit more evolved thanks to human sentience. Different sentients are going to evolve in different ways, and have widely divergent motivations, morals, and behaviors.

At this point, we make a lot of assumptions of what type of behaviors could evolve to a space-faring society, but the problem with all of these theories is that they are all based on the knowledge gained from a sample size of one. Anyone in science, statistics, medicine, or psychology can tell you that studying anything with a sample size one one is useless and pointless; we could just as likely be an extreme outlier as an average example. While we are in the position of having to try and guess from that one sample of sentient life, we always have to keep in mind the limited example we are basing all of this in.

So statements that a warlike species wouldn't make it off of their home planet seem kind of ludicrous to me. It works as a plot device in a lot of science fiction because of fictional information that doesn't exist yet on Earth, but making real world theories based on premise's originating in fictional works has always struck me as ludicrous. Yes, they are fun to imagine, but the thought process is highly flawed.

I do have to agree that we would be at the utter mercy of any alien species that could reach us at this point in time. Just the technology involved if faster-than-light space travel would give such a powerful edge that nothing we could do would pose any serious threat to more than individuals of that race. Just the basic artifacts of space travel means that they could toss large rocks at Earth from out of our range to counter, and one or two of those could very easily wipe out virtually all life on the planet.

Ian Douglas's Space Marine series is good reading about some of these issues, if a bit dry in some places and overreaching in others. It delves into some of the basic principles about how our guesses about alien civilizations are based on potentially flawed assumptions. It has a bit more political soap-boxing than I'm really comfortable widely or generally recommending, but in the realm of this debate I can recommend it.

As to meeting another race in our lifetime, I pray to god that doesn't happen. While it is possible for it to be a peaceful interaction (ala Star Trek), the vast majority of interactions would be disastrous. Until our technology is much more highly advanced (not only for defense, but also medical technology to prevent intentional or unintentional biological epidemics (think the colonists and the Indians...).
rand
Novice

Post by rand »

i think that the whole warlike races will not make off there plant is just wrong.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Heck we wouldn't survive vampires or zombies, let alone an outbreak of something from Alien , predator or day of the Triffids :wink:
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

Bah Triffids we wouldn't survive Tribbles.
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

dellstart wrote:Heck we wouldn't survive vampires or zombies, let alone an outbreak of something from Alien , predator or day of the Triffids :wink:
We've dealt with Vampires for ages:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ction.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... hests.html

As for zombies:
http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7- ... ickly.html

Of course, this argument fails as soon as the undead start rising. Unfortunately, if zombies take over, the world will only be populated with talk show hosts and politicians, as they have a natural immunity to brain-eating monsters. I wonder why?
Rational people have supported the worst dictators of history - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

I'm mad - at least I have an excuse for what I do.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

That cracked up site , had me cracking up. classic :lol:
tereszcz
Initiate

Post by tereszcz »

Hey we have been surviving zombies and vampires for ages. We are now in a cycle to elect new/retain old crop of dead brains and blood suckers :P
gmanjynx
Novice

Post by gmanjynx »

tereszcz wrote:Hey we have been surviving zombies and vampires for ages. We are now in a cycle to elect new/retain old crop of dead brains and blood suckers :P
Unfortunately it seems that they are now getting the upper hand.
tereszcz
Initiate

Post by tereszcz »

There is always a possibility that we the people will get fed up with the BS & vote the b****** out and rein in the 1%. It has happened in other countries. It may happen here.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Well sharpen the stakes and get your shotguns ready. :wink:
tereszcz
Initiate

Post by tereszcz »

dellstart wrote:Well sharpen the stakes and get your shotguns ready. :wink:
Yesterday while traveling from TN to NC, I had to take a detour in Smokey's to get around closed I40. I ran across rather interesting gated community. The lots started at 285K & the guards had enough hardware to give pause to 101 Airborne. The community was rather off the well beaten path, I would say the vampires and zombies are well provisioned and protected. :shock: