Spoilers, Insurrection Chapter 6

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Spoilers, Insurrection Chapter 6

Post by Spec8472 »

Spoilers discussion here folks.

(Oh dear, I'm doing mod duties again... does this mean I'm back?)
lapland
Katzh-dashi

Re: Spoilers, Insurrection Chapter 6

Post by lapland »

I liked the ending. It left enough open to want another chapter, yet didn't leave any conflicts that the Consortium being Kerrien would have left. The Consortium gaining the Kerrien tech from the scout ship, like I thought, didn't quite pan out, but almost. They actually acquired the people. Did they try to subjegate the lost Kerriens? How many will really come back. Perhaps they can cultivate the new world, and bring it into the Imperium for food. And Jason would be in charge of it as well.

There is also those anti-subspace contraptions. Place two almost one light year from earth to allow a very small corridor for ships to jump into, but have that area loaded with mines and very big, very bad, Kerrien War ships. Not likely someone would want to fight them. If a race had to travel for several hours, or even a couple days, I don't think many would object because it's really protecting their own people. Especially if they knew there was a really bad group out there that no one could control. Lace the rest of the Imperium with them and let the Kemdorie run them until Jason can get enough Kerriens. Jason can just say he hired the best secret keepers in the galaxy to protect his secrets.

What price should he extract? Maybe now it's time to start terraforming other planets. Venus and Mars are both within the climate belt of the Sol system. One of Jupiters (or is it Saturns) moons is believed to be so warm inside that it has liquid water.

Can the new Kerriens build another moon? Put those monster guns all over. Clear line of sight at any distance is all it takes for them to be effective. One light year leaves a lot of room to start plucking your enemies off from that distance.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

i have found two questions about the consortium
- from dropship, and other small sccale craft they got weapon shield and all those other techs?
- if they are thieves why is it that they hate so much?
.S.A.M.K.M
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

Well I can only guess about the hatred thing, but as for the technology it has been over a thousand years since the destruction of Karis and they have done research based on the Karrine technology. Plus they obvious didn't run with bare feet if the jumped between galaxies.
There is more important question I think - How many are there of the Consortium that they felt the need to colonize another galaxy...
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

maybe it is not size but the right conditions they look for, like a sun or something that emits the right radiation, or mix of chemicals it the air, or their food need or reproduction enviroment is rare
.S.A.M.K.M
Downdude
Katzh-dashi

Post by Downdude »

SYED wrote:i have found two questions about the consortium
- from dropship, and other small sccale craft they got weapon shield and all those other techs?
- if they are thieves why is it that they hate so much?
I believe that hate was explained as a tool for the mind control to get them to attack without care for personal survival. At least that is the way I'm looking at it.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

From the dropship and the various other devices they took, and the Karinnes they had there to interrogate, they got a BASIC KNOWLEDGE of Karinne technology. From that base, they developed their own technology. That's why some of their weapons and shields are similar to Karinne principles, but not the same. They took that basic knowledge and expanded on it in their own way, going in their own direction. That's why it's different.

In some ways, they actually improved it.

The reason why they didn't go completely past the Karinnes in the time they had to work on it was because when the Consortium first came across the Karinnes, they were MUCH less technologically advanced. It took them a long time just to comprehend what they had, then develop enough experts to start expanding on those basic principles in order to start expanding on the technology they captured.

Note, it didn't take superior technology to cross from Andromeda, it just took crews that could survive that much hyperspace exposure. It took them nearly 5 years to do it.

The other question was answered to my satisfaction. ;)
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
kabalman2000
Sorcerer

Post by kabalman2000 »

They allowed those insects an almost telepathic-like ability to communicate...
Hmmmm ... One would probably need very little power to have these chips transmit only a foot or so. Perhaps being able to run off of the bio-electric energy of the body instead of transmitted plasma.

This technology might then be adapted to allow even a non-telepathic Human / Makati / whatever to interface with the lesser gestalt interfaces to control things without having to verbalize. Even allowing the interface to communicate back through thought. Add a hook into the gestalt communication network to allow telepathic communication with the generations. Maybe put a bone induction speaker on the gestalts for non-generation telepaths and they would be in this network too.

All of a sudden all of house Karrine has galaxy-wide telepath-like communications. An instant thought connection to anyone else in the house, anywhere they are. Perhaps not as fast as a true telepathic connection, but still pretty darn cool.
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Let's see now...
#Jason was not the target of the attack.
#The consortium is not an off shoot of the karinne household (Pay up Hearly! :twisted: )

The five year journey also means they might not mind attacking Karris the slow way. Jason might be shooting himself in the foot with the Interdiction generator. It will affect him just the same as them, which means he won't be able to attack them until they get pretty close. They could stop a couple of light months out, and grab a few dozen Xena type worldlets before continuing, and then use them to smash through any defenses Jason throws in their path. The Faey aren't used to travel on such a time scale, and neither is Jason. The consortium is, and might effectively gain home-field advantage at Karras or Dracas.

I can see why the energy beings would want it though. It would be so much more convenient than telepathically ordering an underling to press that button or flick that switch. Though, and here's another somewhat bothersome problem, I can also see Dahnai feeling exactly the same way if she ever found out what the Consortium is actually after. It seems a part of her character that there is an upper limit to how much temptation she (and by extension the rest of local space) can resist.

What would Jason do if he was contacted directly and they said, "In exchange we promise to go back to our galaxy and you'll never hear from us again - and we promise not to tell everyone all your dirty little secrets."
I is an certified nut
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

ANTIcarrot wrote:Let's see now...
#Jason was not the target of the attack.
#The consortium is not an off shoot of the karinne household (Pay up Hearly! :twisted: )

Pays Up.... :P

Something else I've been wondering about, yes they've had the Spy Camera in Hyperspace watching Karis, but how do they know that Cybi even survived and that there is any information on the Genetic engineering that happened in the past..

also with the Interdictors, depending on how they are set up, a few GRAF cannons on platforms above the orbital plane would give them a target in almost any direction, 5-10 of them stationed around the system would make short work of any invading fleet, Also you have to remember Jason can use the Stargate then come back behind them pinning them between the Solar system defense and his mobile forces
Lokis Advisor
Initiate

Post by Lokis Advisor »

I have a couple of points that need thought.
1) With all the construction why have there not been a few more CBIM computers produced out of the Shimmer Dome?
Cibi stated that that had to be an absolute priority incase she broke down or some other disaster took her out. I would have thought that given 5 years another would have been produced, and given that they would have been made with the new moleculartronics they could be either smaller or more powerful (heh heh, Mores Law at work)
2) Why has Cibi not been upgraded or has she?
3) Earth could be protected by an Interdictor, they would just need a Stargate to another location, ie Alpha Centuri to act as the jump to system then all traffic to the acadamy could come via the Stargate.
4) Karis could be further protected by an extra globe of Interdictors 1 light year further out make the buffer 2 light years. think it would take 17 extra interdictors (not sure on the maths).
5) If Jason had have had the interdictor available, he could have raised it to prevent the Urumi fleet from escaping. I am sure that Dahnai would have.
6)Just a small note on Biology, they would have had to import bugs to Karis so that they could grow crops, flying insects polinate crops that then alow them to produce seed.
7)Whatever happend to the advanced replicator that could produce food, the Karinnes could be extremely wealthy by now with them producing food via replication. At the very least Kumi would have been minting money using them to produce stuff to sell.
8) What sorts of advances is the Acadamy producing?
9) Given that the Karinnes now know that the Consortium technology is based on stolen Karinne technology how much information will they share with the rest of the imperium. Given that the Urumi have that technology Jason may be forced to share more Karinne knowldge to keep the Imperium ahead technologicaly wise, of the local races
Enjoy the time you spend having someone else expand your mind.
kabalman2000
Sorcerer

Post by kabalman2000 »

1) a new Cybi - Nothing has been said for or against another CBIM having already been produced (except that Jason's going to put one in the basement of the Academy).

2) Why has Cibi not been upgraded or has she?
Myleena is having major problems combining biotronic and moleculatronic systems and that is one reason why Cybi hasn't been upgraded. (Insurrection - Chapt 1)

3) Earth could be protected by an Interdictor ...

Thought the same thing - the only problem I can see is if some species or their ships can not tolerate jump gate travel.

4) Karis could be further protected by an extra globe of Interdictors ...

Actually, a globe at 2 light years would interdict a volume of around 3 light years although it would be "bumpy." This, of course requires that interdictor fields can overlap without causing problems. This would take at least 34 but more likely about 60 more interdictors.

Also, you would need a (?pair of?) jump gate(s) for each interdictor to provide for maintenance and defense needs. Each of these would need to be large enough to send large warships through or someone could invest the time to take the technology or take out one outer globe unit to provide a fast path to the inner globe.

5) If Jason had have had the interdictor available, he could have raised it to prevent the Urumi fleet from escaping.

Only if he could have got them to stick around for 2 days while it charged up. (Insurrection - Chapt 2)

6)Just a small note on Biology, they would have had to import bugs to Karis so that they could grow crops, flying insects polinate crops that then alow them to produce seed.

While many crops require insects or birds to pollinate them on Earth, many also self-pollinate or cast pollen to the wind (i.e. hay fever). We don't know how the specific crops on Karris pollinate.

7)Whatever happend to the advanced replicator that could produce food, ...

The advanced replicators can produce silver, too, if they need money. But if Earth is currently meeting the food needs of the Empire, it would be advantageous to hold off introducing an economically destabilizing technology.

8 ) What sorts of advances is the Acadamy producing?

Unknown

9) Given that the Karinnes now know that the Consortium technology is based on stolen Karinne technology how much information will they share with the rest of the imperium.

Jason already told Dahnai that he would be sharing all of the captured technology. In fact he gave her a pad full in Chapter 6. Jason isn't adverse to keeping the Faey technologically equal to their enemies, he just doesn't want them too far ahead.
artreus
Sorcerer

Post by artreus »

Since they were technologically inferiour; one can assume the Consortium made the first visit to our Galaxy using the traditional kind of hypertravel ( not real time) ,
so the 5 year travel to our Galaxy ; that would be the time in perspective to the Consortium ? What would be the time elapsed in the mean time for those not participating on that journey ?

Would it also take 5 years for the current Karinne ships; using Real Time travel to make this journey ? (I assume the time in hyperspace does not change between 2 types of hypertravel , except maybe for better engines )

The Kemdori ships took 20 minutes hyperspace time to get to Karis; probably using RealTime Hyperspace travel

If the Consoritium already has a stargate in Andromeda and somewhere in our Galaxy; and it would take Karinnes 5 years realtime hyperspace travel to get there;
then Jasons only concern would be to kill that stargate , If they dont have, they just kill any left in hour galaxy; it takes at least 5 years to get some new ones here ...
or am i totally mistaken with those travel times ?
afaik :
Type 1 : travel lightyears; perceive only hours / days have passed; while actually x times more days / months have passed
Type 2 : travel lightyears; perception == real time passed ; probably just as much as the preceived time in type 1
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

artreus wrote:Since they were technologically inferiour; one can assume the Consortium made the first visit to our Galaxy using the traditional kind of hypertravel ( not real time) ,
so the 5 year travel to our Galaxy ; that would be the time in perspective to the Consortium ? What would be the time elapsed in the mean time for those not participating on that journey ?

Would it also take 5 years for the current Karinne ships; using Real Time travel to make this journey ? (I assume the time in hyperspace does not change between 2 types of hypertravel , except maybe for better engines )

The Kemdori ships took 20 minutes hyperspace time to get to Karis; probably using RealTime Hyperspace travel
It takes 5 years of continuous Hyperspace travel, which would probably kill everyone on the ship (per Fel saying theres Hyperspace radiation) if your resistant to it, it would take 5 years, now depending on how many times you have to stop to prevent dying from the radiation it would take a lot longer than 5 years, Now maybe Real time Hyperspace travel causes the radiation but the other type of Travel doesn't cause it, not sure, Fel would be the only one who could answer that.
Mysterious
Sorcerer

Post by Mysterious »

On thinking of how to get to Consortium controlled space maybe it would be easier to creat a series of leap-frogging stargates with the protection of interdictors. This would have the benefit of having forward bases to attack the Consortium from and can be a defensive measure from which the Faey and the Karinnes can retaliate against any incursions.
You're not FAT... You're just horizontally gifted :)