Spoilers, Insurrection Chapter 6

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
Fel
Weavespinner

Re: Spoilers, Insurrection Chapter 6

Post by Fel »

Hearly wrote:
artreus wrote:Since they were technologically inferiour; one can assume the Consortium made the first visit to our Galaxy using the traditional kind of hypertravel ( not real time) ,
so the 5 year travel to our Galaxy ; that would be the time in perspective to the Consortium ? What would be the time elapsed in the mean time for those not participating on that journey ?

Would it also take 5 years for the current Karinne ships; using Real Time travel to make this journey ? (I assume the time in hyperspace does not change between 2 types of hypertravel , except maybe for better engines )

The Kemdori ships took 20 minutes hyperspace time to get to Karis; probably using RealTime Hyperspace travel
It takes 5 years of continuous Hyperspace travel, which would probably kill everyone on the ship (per Fel saying theres Hyperspace radiation) if your resistant to it, it would take 5 years, now depending on how many times you have to stop to prevent dying from the radiation it would take a lot longer than 5 years, Now maybe Real time Hyperspace travel causes the radiation but the other type of Travel doesn't cause it, not sure, Fel would be the only one who could answer that.
There's not "hyperspace radiation," what it is is that 3-dimensional beings can't comprehend hyperspace, and your brain goes into overdrive trying to rationalize that which can never be rationalized.

If you're exposed to that long enough, you go insane.

Some races have a fundamental ability to resist this effect more than others, based on how their brains work. Kizzik and Skaa are quite resistant to hyperspace shock.

But other races are quite vulnerable to it, like the Bari-Bari and the Parri. They have to be very careful jumping hyperspace, to the point where they need special sensory deprivation systems to avoid insanity. When Jason brought the Parri to Karis, he had to take extraordinary precautions to get them there sane.

Now, as to the original issue: it took the Consortium 5 years of real time to jump across galaxies. Because of relativity delay (they couldn't jump in real time back then), it took them about 2 months of actual travel time.

Both races you've been introduced to so far are VERY resistant to hyperspace exposure. The energy beings are flat-out immune, and can jump any distance, while the insectoids are capable of extremly long continuous exposure. When they jumped over from Andromeda, they did it very long stages, coupled with DAYS of moving in real space to give the insectoids time to recover from the jump.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
lapland
Katzh-dashi

Post by lapland »

So, if the Kizzik and the Skaa are friends of Jason's house, could he load up a jump gate and an interdicter and send them to Andromeda via subspace in real time, or possibly automations assemble the parts and allow jumps directly from Karis to Andromeda to start seeding interdictors thoughout their home galaxy.

It wouldn't take long before the energy guys decide that they need to watch their own back door instead of trying to invade our galaxy. Add a few of those big guns and the Consortium won't know what to do except thow up their hands and serinder. Jason can even start seeding mines attracted to the special tech that they developed from his houses past.
firefox
Talent

Post by firefox »

Another idea is for the karrine's to reverse engineer the consortium implants and then then control the Consortium forces ....
Sage4Eros
Initiate

Post by Sage4Eros »

Brain implant powered by broadcast plasma? Hmmm- I can so see Jason building some kind of Harmonic Feedback gizmo to short them out!

The questions that arise are if he can figure out how to get the feedback past a ship's shields (a special shield penetrating rocket that broadcasts the feedback instead of exploding, maybe), and secondly- what happens to the person whose implant shorts (freedom of control or brain damage)?
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Lokis Advisor wrote:8) What sorts of advances is the Acadamy producing?
Not sure about the academy, but Earth is probably producing 'novelty' items like 10Ms fusion rockets, low grade star ships, and close analogies of Jason's railgun, and possible Island colonies. (Oh, and roman style shields!) That's the kind of 'intermediate' technology' earth would probably play around with before trying to compete with the major faey industries. There's no way Earth will stay a farming planet with the humans back in charge.
firefox wrote:Another idea is for the karrine's to reverse engineer the consortium implants and then then control the Consortium forces ....
It might not be that simple. It's relatively easy to reverse engineer a mobile phone, but that doesn't automatically mean you can break the mobile's encryption and listen in on other people's calls.
I is an certified nut
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

Sorry to throw a slight technical spanner into the works, but the stargate will have to be moved.

From Insurrection Chapter 2
“This is a quasar in unclaimed space between the Alliance and the Nine Colonies, in a dead zone. It’s the only system within twenty parsecs of any border, and the quasar’s radiation will hide it from long range sensors. It is also in a line with Karis from the rest of the Imperium,”
The Quasar is also mentioned in Chapter 6

The trouble is that all quasars are by their very nature outside this galaxy. If there was one inside this galaxy, we would all be radioactive. They are the highly radioactive cores of young galaxies, and some of the remotest objects known.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasar

The alternative is a radio-jet X-ray binary, with one famous example being Cygnus X-1. There are sevral of these in our galaxy.

http://blackholes.stardate.org/director ... .php?id=13

The fact that the site is in a "dead zone" does match, these babies put out jets of radiation and plasma that could steralize a planet at tens of light years - they are THAT powerful.

As long as you avoid the jet, you only have to worry about the radiation, but I'm sure tha Jason could work out a way to use a relativistic jet of plasma, powered by a supermassive black hole, as a weapon.
Rational people have supported the worst dictators of history - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

I'm mad - at least I have an excuse for what I do.
arargh
Katzh-dashi

Post by arargh »

Mad Monk wrote:Sorry to throw a slight technical spanner into the works, but the stargate will have to be moved.

From Insurrection Chapter 2
“This is a quasar in unclaimed space between the Alliance and the Nine Colonies, in a dead zone. It’s the only system within twenty parsecs of any border, and the quasar’s radiation will hide it from long range sensors. It is also in a line with Karis from the rest of the Imperium,”
The Quasar is also mentioned in Chapter 6
Maybe could use a Pulsar instead?
artreus
Sorcerer

Post by artreus »

the correct thing to do; be it much more difficult; would be to move the quasar;
and leave the stargate be .... :-p
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

One other issue that bugs me that was not wrapped up.... could be done in the next series, Unification. Waiting with anticipation for the next Christmas gift. Ugh... another 12 months.

The relations after this short war... between the Urumi and Karrine.

Urumi with Imperium .... at war but with the Urumi surrender but the Imperium leaving them be and showing mercy, what about the collective? Is the collective all Urumi or the Urumi is part of the collective empire? A kind of serpentine empire with the Urumi being one of them.

Just as the short story of Meya and Myra looking for Aura could be another..:) and it does sounds like Aurelia... :wink:
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

In away this kinda of reminds me, of what happened in Macaffery's pern , when all the old dragon riders came forward in time.Now that was a recipe for disaster.Just hope that over here, its a more peaceful reconciliation.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Question: Isnt Raan going to grow up, being a bit confused to his exact place in society?He's really growing in a mixed house hold , where on one hand human society demands one thing from him as a male, and Fey society demands the exact opposite.The unspoken cues from each one of his parents, would i guess, only add to his confusion.Perhaps being There are more Fey in his life perhaps this will emerge as the dominant trait.
Any ideas?
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

shhh, it's a secret, but this is actually something I intend to explore as Rann grows up.

But for him, it will be a touch different. After all, even though he's a male, he IS dukal royalty, and he'll be the Grand Duke. So his gender identity conflict wouldn't be quite as bad as, say, Aram's.

And since we're on this kids thread thread:

Yes, Symone will eventually have a baby. She hasn't conceived yet because of "ahem" female issues, not big enough to show up in her medical checks, but still enough to make it much harder for her to conceive. Songa will iron it out.

Yes, Jason and Jyslin will eventually have more kids. A couple going 5 years without a conception while not taking any precautions is unusual, but not unheard of.

No, Dahnai doesn't have Jason's baby.

And let the chaos begin. When Shya turns 10, she comes and lives on Karis for a year. Rann's life will never be the same. :twisted:
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Fel wrote:shhh, it's a secret, but this is actually something I intend to explore as Rann grows up.

But for him, it will be a touch different. After all, even though he's a male, he IS dukal royalty, and he'll be the Grand Duke. So his gender identity conflict wouldn't be quite as bad as, say, Aram's.

And since we're on this kids thread thread:

Yes, Symone will eventually have a baby. She hasn't conceived yet because of "ahem" female issues, not big enough to show up in her medical checks, but still enough to make it much harder for her to conceive. Songa will iron it out.

Yes, Jason and Jyslin will eventually have more kids. A couple going 5 years without a conception while not taking any precautions is unusual, but not unheard of.

No, Dahnai doesn't have Jason's baby.

And let the chaos begin. When Shya turns 10, she comes and lives on Karis for a year. Rann's life will never be the same. :twisted:

thanks fel , really appreciate the reply.
Poor bastard , doesn't know whats about to hit him.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Fel wrote:And let the chaos begin.
You do this on purpose, don't you Fel? :twisted:
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Yeah, I do.

I guess I could be utterly evil and tell you that Jason dies in the next short story.

But I won't do that.