Spoilers Chapter 4.

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Spoilers Chapter 4.

Post by Hearly »

Ok Anyone wanna take bets on The Consortium being a branch of Karinne's who broke away during the 3rd Civil War?

At least from what everything has been said so far about them, They seem to have stayed under the Radar of the Kimidori which is not an easy thing to do, they can go Real Time in Hyperspace which is a Karinne Tech, and most of the other tech seems to be lines researched by the Karinne's before the Civil war.

To me this makes much more sense than a Unknown species just "appearing" out of no where....

Now IF they are Karinne descendants are they going to help Jason, or try and overthrow him?

Oh ya just to remind everyone, Fel is Evil very very Evil for leaving the chapter where it's at.
SYED
Child of Niami

Re: Spoilers Chapter 4.

Post by SYED »

the consortium are bad guys, the descendant of karinnes driven by revenge against the imperium that slautered their family and the traitors that dare stand with them, they are energy beings because of the program or those seen were created to carry out the revenge plot, the whole killing empress consort as said seem very personal, the karines saw their family die so she watches her love die, also they want the planet for the complete database the konowledge of karrine, they for some reason did not ask the karrine for help at all why... unless they dont see them as karrine just those that took their technolege
.S.A.M.K.M
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

SYED wrote:the consortium are bad guys, the descendant of karinnes driven by revenge against the imperium that slautered their family and the traitors that dare stand with them, they are energy beings because of the program or those seen were created to carry out the revenge plot, the whole killing empress consort as said seem very personal, the karines saw their family die so she watches her love die, also they want the planet for the complete database the konowledge of karrine, they for some reason did not ask the karrine for help at all why... unless they dont see them as karrine just those that took their technolege

I could see that as working, but Honestly Fel has a thing on turning "bad" guys into just "Misunderstood" guys, he's done it all throughout his stories..
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

Or perhaps the Consortium have nothing to do with the Karinnes and those descendants will be coming with the twins before the battle is over...
My conclusion is that Fel is an evil genius who want to destroy our sanity to achieve world domination using nasty cliffhangers.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Metatrone wrote:Or perhaps the Consortium have nothing to do with the Karinnes and those descendants will be coming with the twins before the battle is over...
My conclusion is that Fel is an evil genius who want to destroy our sanity to achieve world domination using nasty cliffhangers.

heh I'll agree with that, The only real issue I have with the consortium, is why have the Kimidori haven't heard/seen 1 thing about them before now.
gtc
Talent

Post by gtc »

It was a test! The Consortium gave the Urumi advanced technology to see if the "new" Karinne's would be true to what they said or buckle under and give the Imperium their knowledge. Now they are here to save the day... :) Which means the Consortium is actually the survivors of the lost Karinnes and the "energy being" *was* just a hologram... and it explains why the Kimdori have not heard of them, cause they did not know of the lost Karinnes either... or maybe they did and were just keeping it a secret....
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Hearly wrote:Ok Anyone wanna take bets on The Consortium being a branch of Karinne's who broke away during the 3rd Civil War?
I'll take that wager and raise you three internets.

Though I would heartily agree that is a damn fine cliff hanger.
Last edited by ANTIcarrot on Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I is an certified nut
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Metatrone wrote:Or perhaps the Consortium have nothing to do with the Karinnes and those descendants will be coming with the twins before the battle is over...

This Might be true too Metatrone, why else would Fel mention it in the story if it doesn't Impact it later...

You might be right Anti, thinking about what Metatrone said, there has to be some Lost Karinnes who come and help
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

well it could be just him being evil you know... :)
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

This Consortium seems to be starting a galactic war. They have used the Trillanes, then the Urumi as catspaws to draw attention, now they seem to plan to attack the most advanced force in that sector of the Galaxy. The Karrines seem to be the only people who might be able to match their technology, so with them out of the way, the rest of the Empire, (and surrounding races) would be easy prey.

However, I would not be surprised if the Kimdori now take a more active role - they clearly have considerable hardware, and are still upset at their failure to help the Karrines last time.
Rational people have supported the worst dictators of history - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

I'm mad - at least I have an excuse for what I do.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

[b]imagine[/b] running and hiding, your home destroyed, family hunted, all by your own people. you havew two goal to run, hide and survive try to find a home to be safe. the second revenge on those that commit these crimes. tthe kimdori must have known, they always know, they cant be trusted, the famility must be safe. then one day they return, slowly, in secret, looking for weaknesses in their target. they find an useable ally, the collective, give them weapons and shield, but leave a weakhull, give them to them so that they control them, it would be easy to make sure them can be removed or illiminated if needed. as they plan and plot, the enemy dare bring some mongrel from a planewt and name him their duke, giving him their rightful inheritance, they must pay, their allies are given 3 million humans, some are telepathic, kinetic even they can use this, the imperium will pay, for what was done to them
.S.A.M.K.M
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Hmm it did cross my mind that the Consortium could be a from a branch of Karinne Technology.. energy based being... holograms... but it just did not fit in.

If it is a past branch of Karinne... they would have come much earlier with a supposedly old Karinne Tech to check Karis out. It is thousands of years since the old Karinne clans and the energy based beings seems already to have manufacturing base and ships different in design... to accomodate them but they would have used it to check out Karinne previously.

This makes me think that this being could be a new specie, being etc that had Karinne old technology dumped on them when ex-Karinnes clan. Similar like the Terrans. However, they take years to build the technology.

But the last five years after Karinne resurface, and the Academy, the Urumi fed the information, the consortium who may or may still not have some ex-Karinne advisors or ex-Karinne missives to investigate Karis. This missive is what is unknown.

The Consortium could have pulled out from Urumi after they heard that the Urumi is attacking Karis. The Consortium could be sending the ships to defend Karis or fight Karis. The Consortium could have used the Urumi to destabilize the Imperium due to what has been done to the Karinnes.

Well.... Fel has a mighty fine cliffhanger and which would leave us with so many possibilities and angles. If he did not reveal the plot soon, he will surely plot me jumping off the cliff.... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh :lol: :(
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
lapland
Katzh-dashi

Post by lapland »

Does anyone remember....

The first time Jason jumps in subspace using Kerine ship doesn't he seem to recognize a being existing in subspace? This was never persude as far as I know other then to evintually explain that Kerines have a vast understanding of subspace.
Mysterious
Sorcerer

Post by Mysterious »

I agree that the consortium is most likely a branch of the surviving Karinne Noble House. It fits nicely into the story as there are several things that could have come about for the survival of an unknown branch of the Karinne's:

1. It is extremely difficult to actually exterminate an entire group e.g. there are still some surviving Nazis that have escaped justice even to this day.

2. Some members of the Karinne house may have seen where the wind was blowing before the civil war and may have arranged a bolthole even if the the ruling members were naive or ignorant of the fact that they were legitimate targets in the upcoming war.

3. Some members may have escaped the purges as all they would have to do would be to take off the 'jewelry' and modify memories of all those around them and most of house Karinne would certainly be powerful enough to do this. It can be speculated that members of House Karinne may have advanced the art of telepathy itself or married it with TK spawning an offshoot.

4. The technology is too advanced and uses a lot of theories and fields that the Karinnes were already familiar with and could fit in nicely that the survivors had to start off from scratch but achieved progress faster because they already knew what they were capable of.

There are also several psychological reasons that the Consortium is most likely a surving Karinne offshoot:

1. That the target wasn't the Empress and that Fel implied that it was personal through the story. This can be seen as clear cut grab for vengeance.

2. The old Karinne's philosophy was basically that they were a superior race. They would never accept Jason, as he would be seen as being a degenerate half-breed, as the legitimate successor to the Dukal Throne. The fact that he sided with the Empire would have certainly garnered a lot of ill-will towards him.

3. The speculation that they would feel betrayed by the Kimdori as well also fits well with this theory as it would be logical for the survivors to come to the conclusion that the Kimdori had to know. They would ask '"The Kimdori know everything going on in the Empire :!: How could they not know :?:" . They would certainly try to stay clear from the Kimdori and would plan to take them out as well.

And finally why I think it is most likely the Consortium is likely a surving branch of the Karinne House is that the science vessel that the Kimdori found was without any of its equipment and left floating away in space. It would be certainly likely that had someone else discovered the science vessel before hand that the old equipment would have cropped up by now and the Kimdori would of heard about it. The fact that the Twins are on the path of the route used by the old science vessel is too coincidental and would fit in nicely with the plotline for Insurrection.

Mysterious
You're not FAT... You're just horizontally gifted :)
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Mysterious wrote:4. The technology is too advanced and uses a lot of theories and fields that the Karinnes were already familiar with and could fit in nicely that the survivors had to start off from scratch but achieved progress faster because they already knew what they were capable of.
<sigh> Assuming that everyone except group A is too stupid to develop something is more than bordering on racism. I wish that some forum members would stop seeing such assumptions as unquestionable truth.

Every species in Insurrection has presumably at some point invented the electric light bulb. Does that mean they're all off shoots of th human race? <sarcasm> 'Cause, you know, only humans and their off-shoots are intelligent enough to do that.</sarcasm>

It may be the case that they are in some way related to the old Kerrine, but the method being used to 'prove' it sucks.
I is an certified nut