Retribution Chapter 10 [Spoilers]

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Re: Retrubution Chapter 10 [Spoilers]

Post by Wolfee »

MartinK wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:21 am Somehow it doesn't feel right, Jason wanting to be the hero when there are certainly a lot more options of what to do than put him into the line of fire in his body. Heck, couldn't it be some Kimdori that gets a bit of his blood to shapeshift into a perfect copy like they do on regular infiltrations?

No, it somehow feels like the author needs something bad to happen to the main character so that something else can be forced to happen... some experimental or theoretical procedure that has little chance to succeed but despite all odds will succeed and make him different somehow. And taking the risk isn't a question since he's dead otherwise anyway.

Well, it's the same here as it is with David Webers Honor Harrington series. The author there planned to kill off Honor and continue the story with her kids but just couldn't do it because he wouldn't ever have gotten back his peaceful life from unhappy readers feeling the need to tell him just how unhappy the death of their hero would make them.

Yet I also have to say, this is the first time I feel that something happened just because it needs to happen to get the story to a specific place - in any of Fel's stories. I wonder if Jason gets to live on in a crystal as a CBIM of some sort... or like ... whats-his-name? But it would allow him eternal life and not open up an option for the general population to become immortal.
I agree... the last 2 chapters feel forced. This isn't the Jason we know. There is no need for Jason to even go to meet the Board. All he has to do is calculate things correctly. He says to the Bengia, I am arriving on x say at such and such a time. The board is there to meet him but what they meet instead is a full power blast of the Tiannes GRAF cannon fired from outside the solar system.

I shave said before that there is no real reason for Jason to go, it's just a plot device
Last edited by Wolfee on Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Except for the fact that if the Karinnes wipe out half the capitol city, the board can't quickly reform to call off the invasion.

Jason did consider just blowing up the building...and so did I.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
cc0
Talent

Post by cc0 »

Here's my speculation about Oye trees in general

The Pari had Jason put Oye trees in important sensitive areas to ensure that the clairvoyant beings cannot see what's nearby. Oye trees are basically the secure blacked windows of the clairvoyance world.

Somehow Jason's return from Andromeda is going to be via his link to the spiritual realm that the Pari tap into. On the Benga capital, there is no love, there is no hope, yet somehow Jason will find a way to connect.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

I still think the Kimdori could have assassinated the entire board themselves. The only downside is possibly revealing the Kimdori presence to the Benga. That wouldn't be any worse then possibly losing Jason though.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

MartinK wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:21 am Somehow it doesn't feel right, Jason wanting to be the hero when there are certainly a lot more options of what to do than put him into the line of fire in his body. Heck, couldn't it be some Kimdori that gets a bit of his blood to shapeshift into a perfect copy like they do on regular infiltrations?

No, it somehow feels like the author needs something bad to happen to the main character so that something else can be forced to happen... some experimental or theoretical procedure that has little chance to succeed but despite all odds will succeed and make him different somehow. And taking the risk isn't a question since he's dead otherwise anyway.

Yet I also have to say, this is the first time I feel that something happened just because it needs to happen to get the story to a specific place - in any of Fel's stories. I wonder if Jason gets to live on in a crystal as a CBIM of some sort... or like ... whats-his-name? But it would allow him eternal life and not open up an option for the general population to become immortal.
I agree with this, I felt the decision to use this method of "solving" the problem was forced.

Yes there are the oracles, but know someone is going to shoot you with a machine gun, doesn't mean you have the ability to dodge out of the way, especially when the Kimidori are effectively all seeing, they'll always know where the board is, so the board can't avoid having the machine gun pointed at them.