Weavespinner

Legacy, Chapter 1 Spoilers

Post by Spec8472 »

Spoilers discussion here folks.
Mistra
Katzh-dashi

Re: Legacy, Chapter 1 Spoilers

Post by Mistra »

That was one amazing chapter, i think i'm even going to like this more then the sennadar series (and that's saying something).

just wondering, does Amara still have the lycantrope weakness for weapons of nature? Or is she completely invulnerable?
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

It has a romantic start. I like that. Fel can really weave more ideas into an amazing universe.

Well here goes the normal ponderings... without a doubt Kerri will come back ... Amara is the harbinger of it. But how big a role is Miranda and Tarrin going to play in Amara's life. AND who is going to be the evil ... I am supposed to hate... yet to come..
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Amara is lucky in that she has most of the powers of a Were-wolf, but none of their weaknesses. Lycanthropes have a weakness to silver, but Amara doesn't. Anything else that can hurt a Were-wolf, though, can hurt Amara. She's not invulnerable, she's just not susceptible to permanent injury inflicted by silver. Fire, acid, and weapons of nature can hurt her just like they can hurt anyone else. But a bullet fired from a Wikuni rifle? Nope. It'll sting like hell, but she'd regenerate a wound like that.

The main difference between Amara and other Lycanthropes, however, is her human form. Since her powers are much different from a Lycanthrope's, she's capable of using them to heal herself of injuries she might sustain in her human form. Remember, ONLY Were-cats have their regeneration and other powers in their "human" form...any other Lycanthrope is just as weak and vulnerable as any human in human form, able to be injured by anything that could injure a normal human. Amara, however, is not. She doesn't have to shift into her hybrid or animal forms to gain her Were powers. And what is more, since her shapeshifting powers are much different, she can actually use them to "shapeshift" away wounds and injuries, a kind of active healing ability stacked on top of the Were regeneration she enjoys in her hybrid and animal forms. This means that though she can be hurt in human form, she can just actively shapeshift her injuries away...including wounds inflicted by fire, acid, and weapons of nature. As long as she doesn't lose consciousness, Amara is an exceptionally hard individual to kill.

This near-invulnerability is one of the reasons why she's so reckless, just as much as being the granddaughter of a legend. Having no danger in one's life tends to make one kinda go out and find danger, to feel the rush of knowing that you might get hurt. ;)

Yes, Amara could be most aptly described as a rebellious teenager. It's hard to find your own place in the sun when the shadow of your grandmother and family is constantly falling over you. ;)

The role Miranda plays in her life, well, not much. Miranda will pop up again, but she's not going to be a "major" character. She has work to do out in the multiverse, since she's Kikkalli's main agent. She's like Tarrin now, she plays in a much larger world, where she's just as dangerous and formidable as she was on Sennadar. ;)

Tarrin? This isn't his story. You will see him, but not much. The impact he has on the story will be generally tertiary. Actions he's taken outside the eye of the reader will impact the storyline, and have already done so. He is Amara's godfather, after all. He gave her her glaive and her amulet, and the impact he had on the world affects her every day, since she's one of the children of those legends.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Sage4Eros
Initiate

Post by Sage4Eros »

The impact <Tarrin> has on the story will be generally tertiary. Actions <Tarrin has> taken outside the eye of the reader will impact the storyline, and have already done so.
Things that Tarrin has done offstage that will have serious effects on this story? Hmmm.... Like maybe give the Sword of Fire to Kerri so that she can show it off to Amara? Very interesting (said in a cheesy German accent).
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Yum, thanks Fel. That qualifies as a prologue by itself. Had a few more in the head but which should resolve as the story unfolds.

Psst, I am sure the Sword of Fire will mean something in the future.
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Sage4Eros
Initiate

Post by Sage4Eros »

On a totally separate note than my last post, I am VERY curious where the antagonists of this story are going to come from. Techmag flying steel Battleships? Fel is going to have to whip up some serious bad guys to threaten something like that! Personally I am voting for the Zakkites to make a comeback. They have demonstrated a talent in the past to magically CREATE soldier races (although the Vendari backfired on them).

Imagine an evil Mageocraci that views Technology as blasphemy. Have them breeding new monsters as their counterbalance to technology. Leviathan/Kraken submarines that can hide and attack from UNDER the surface of the water. Swarms of flying monsters like airborne piranha or rideable beasts to act as their fighter planes. A new slave race of soldiers like the Vendari where they got the brainwashing/mind-control fixed. Maybe the new slave race has Queens (as in hive queens) and the Queen Mothers of the race are held in durance vile- guaranteeing the cooperation of the soldiers because the race can’t breed without them. The new race (Insectiod rather than Reptilian maybe?) breed VERY fast, so the Mages can replenish their cannon fodder quicker. I can see the magically created monstrous armies using poison dart instead of bullets, Acid or Lightning against the metal battleships, antimagic fields to cause the flying ships to fall...

Even if it isn't the Zakkites, I think a "religious war" of an Empire of Mages declaring "Jihad" against Technology has the potential to make for an interesting story. And if the bad guys ARE throwing around Acid, Fire & Lightning then Amara is going to have to seriously watch out for herself for the first time in her life!
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Hmm.... I was thinking along the line of something that can stop magic. Most of the modern machines still relies on magic, the flying ship. Hmm the few that can stop magic is the druids or the Gods (Bu that will be unlike Niami not to interfere)

The dragons who are very strong druids will be something else. So far only the blues and the shadow dragons have been involved although there are the reds, the gold and I forgot what other colours and where they are situated. The dragons may decide to rebel and rule the Earth again. I wonder who are the god of dragons??
Downdude
Katzh-dashi

Post by Downdude »

Speaking of dragons, I wonder how complete Saphire was under her skirt. Too bad we didn't get an answer for that one. :mrgreen:
windrider265
Talent

Post by windrider265 »

First off great chapter but I have a question about Sarraya? You said Fairies have a lifespan of 40 years or so but in book 3 chapter 16 when Tarrin and Sarraya are talking he asked here about kids and she said....

"You have any children?"

"Not yet," she replied. "But I'm young yet. I've got a few hundred years to go before age starts becoming an issue." She looked up at him. "Why the sudden interest in my private life? You've never so much as asked me my husband's name before."

:?: Implies that she would have a lifespan atleast 200 years I was just wondering. I love Sarraya and would like to see her all grown up with kids or grandkids. I do love the new heroine Amara and I hope she get Kerri though the depression soon.
Mysterious
Sorcerer

Post by Mysterious »

From what I understand it has been 300 years since the end of they Pyrosian War. It would have been more than enough time for Sarraya to be dead for 40 years.
You're not FAT... You're just horizontally gifted :)
windrider265
Talent

Post by windrider265 »

Mysterious wrote:From what I understand it has been 300 years since the end of they Pyrosian War. It would have been more than enough time for Sarraya to be dead for 40 years.

Hmmm. must have misread I thought it said she died long before Camara and Phandebrass died who had long ago died. A Faeries only had a lifespan of 40 yrs. :?
Wicketklown001
Sorcerer

Post by Wicketklown001 »

true, yet the story says that faeries only have a lifespan of 40 years. It could be that you're correct and Fel meant she died 40 years ago and just got the numbers mixed up when he went to type it out though. Or it could be a typo of a missing 0.. like "Faeries have a lifespan of 400 years" (if this is the case then it mean Sarraya was already a couple hundred years old to begin with).
GloriousShamash
Initiate

Post by GloriousShamash »

It would seem that using sorcerous magic as a source of power carries some pretty strict restrictions--though it is no doubt environmentally sound than fossil fuels.

Normal sorcerers can use their power in direct opposition to Niami's will, but I got the impression that that was less true for Sui'Kun as they are high-priests, princes of the sorcerers, living nexi of the weave, not to mention one of the few people Niami talks to fairly regularly had to walk a narrower path. I expect Falken would have more than a little difficulty ordering his tower to a war of dominion.

Such a war would need the approval of the other Sui'Kun as well as his own parliment. If he insisted, his tower might simply refuse and teleport out. Worse, Spider or Tarrin might show up with orders from the elder gods to whack his ass. The previous series made it clear that such was part of their job--doing the elder gods' dirty work. Pretty much has to be the good guy then.
wise_wolf
Talent

Post by wise_wolf »

That and the fact that Niami might have something to say about sending her children to war just to advance Faalken's own goals.