ROBOTECH!

Did you know what show 'max sterling' came from?

yes
46%
no
29%
don't care
13%
poll whore(gimmie gold) (Ed: ...or Candy)
13%

Total votes: 24

Wingsolution
Katzh-dashi

ROBOTECH!

Post by Wingsolution »

when I first read chapter 14 of subjugation, I knew I knew where the name Max Sterling came from, but I couldn't place it. I later remembered, after looking at my bookshelf where I keep my Robotech DVDs, but I was too lazy to post. So here at last the answer to that unkown, Maximillion Sterling was an ace pilot on the origional robotech series, he flew a blue veritech, and showed up Rick hunter, but rich was promoted more, because he's the main charachter... in that series anyways...

and yes I do realize that most of you already knew this, but I didn't see it posted here, so I figued; Why not?
bored and lazy... it's more fun to talk on gaia...
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Re: ROBOTECH!

Post by Spec8472 »

Wingsolution wrote:I do realize that most of you already knew this, but I didn't see it posted here, so I figued; Why not?
Heh, I wouldn't be suprised if it's the first reference to another universe/realm/etc

But no... I hadn't heard of Robotech before you mentioned it...

However, Max Sterling does ring a bell for some other reason.
For some reason It brings up memories of the Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego and Sam & Max games.
Journeywoman
Sui'Kun

Post by Journeywoman »

Spec8472 wrote:
Wingsolution wrote:I do realize that most of you already knew this, but I didn't see it posted here, so I figued; Why not?
Heh, I wouldn't be suprised if it's the first reference to another universe/realm/etc

But no... I hadn't heard of Robotech before you mentioned it...

However, Max Sterling does ring a bell for some other reason.
For some reason It brings up memories of the Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego and Sam & Max games.
Where as for me it brings up images of spy/secret agents for some reason. I'm probably getting confused with someone else but it does sound like a secret agents name.
Abandon the search for truth; settle for good fantasy!
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Journeywoman wrote:Where as for me it brings up images of spy/secret agents for some reason. I'm probably getting confused with someone else but it does sound like a secret agents name.

ooooh... Get Smart!
Maxwell Smart -- sorta similar... Max S... :)
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

hahaha, you bet, I gotta pay homage to, hands down, one of the coolest characters ever in the history of Anime. Max was compassionate, modest, kind, friendly, a little naive...and was beyond any doubt the greatest combat pilot that ever lived (in the Macross universe).

For those of you unfamiliar with Macross, this is all the example you need: the Zentran initiated a battle and sacrificed thousands of pilots and mecha for the specific reason to draw Max out and try to kill him. They feared him that much, after he faced the Zentran's greatest combat pilot, Myria Perina, and bested her in a one on one duel. Any Micron that could defeat the mighty Myria was someone that had to immediately die.

The concept of Max Sterling has become a virtual template in anime, but none of them are like him. Just as Lum was the original sexy magic girl, Max was the original unlikely war god that lived next door.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Wingsolution
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wingsolution »

I have to say that I didn't happen to catch the anime that Lum's in (though I do know what it is I saw the third movie), but the war god max thing went right over my head... or I'm just having a brain fart...
bored and lazy... it's more fun to talk on gaia...
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Lum is from a classic anime called Urusei Yatsura (Obnoxious Aliens), which you'll probably never see in America...but it was one of the most popular and longest-running animes in Japan. She and Ataru Moroboshi were the main characters.

The "Max" template is this: unassuming, amiable fellow hiding nearly superhuman talent. Spike from Cowboy Bebop and Goku/Gohan from Dragonball are good examples of this. Spike's a pretty hard fellow, but he had a heart of gold under all that meanness. ;)
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
fickle-godling
Initiate

Post by fickle-godling »

heheh i have the whole robotech novel collection in my bookshelf, all except the last invid invasion book! I think the title is Rubicon, if im not mistaken :D
checking this forum everyday is turning into an addiction
belphanior
Talent

Post by belphanior »

fickle-godling, I dub thee "The NECROMANCER"!

You just pulled a 9 months old thread from its grave... :roll:
fickle-godling
Initiate

Post by fickle-godling »

hahaha i did? i didnt realize i did that, i never really bothered to check the dates hahahah!!
checking this forum everyday is turning into an addiction
jyce
Talent

Post by jyce »

fickle-godling wrote:heheh i have the whole robotech novel collection in my bookshelf, all except the last invid invasion book! I think the title is Rubicon, if im not mistaken :D
I have the whole novel collection also includina the invid series. I always like Robotech :D