old ideas and dodging studying for a test.

Vote for your favorite story idea(s) (Read below first)

Poll ended at Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:56 am

Idea #1: The Symbions
8%
Idea #2: Angel's Feather
6%
Idea #3: One Way Ticket to Earth, Please
6%
Idea #4: The Navigators
3%
Idea #5: The Fox and the Hawk
40%
All of the ideas
27%
More than 1 idea (Comment Below)
6%
None of the above ideas
3%

Total votes: 63

2p1k3
Novice

Re: old ideas and dodging studying for a test.

Post by 2p1k3 »

I like #5 the most but I like all of them. I think #5 stands out the most because it is the most thought out one of them.
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

The premise of The Symbions seems very very silly to me. (Reverting to swords and spears due to enemy magic.) It would have to be backed up be a very competent explanation for it to work. Something a little more substantial than the 'bang bang - you're dead' surrender from Subjugation.

Angel's Feather shares a lot of ideas with many professionally published novels. It's probably that has the greatest chance of commercial success (in today's market at least) and probably my pick of the bunch.

Dragon Star: Ick. Though it would probably appeal to anyone who likes Futurama.

The Navigators again sounds interesting. Bit like Stargate, but with GURPS world-jumpers instead of alien technology. The prejudice element would have to be done carefully.
Good idea: Relatives of the dead resenting the survivors. Or something else. Anything else but...
Bad idea: The mindless (and pointless) and very unsubtle prejudice against black peo... Ops! I mean 'mutants' in X-Men.

The Fox and the Hawk sounds like a good story. Plenty of possibilities for Governor Terminator jokes too! I don't recall reading any stories like this before either. The practicality of 'Chicks 'N' Chainmail' series comes closest. And that would make this my second favorite. Maybe you could contact makers of Forgotten Realms for an official novel license? It's certianly a situation many players will have found themselves in.
DaBear
Talent

Post by DaBear »

A good comedy is the best :) And I always loved the Forgotten Realms universe.
aberia
Sorcerer

Post by aberia »

#5 sounds good. but i would really like to see a Book 2 of Subjugation.

Oh well .. I'll take anything that FEL writes.. 8). As long as it keeps comming.

Cyberia
mknight
Talent

Post by mknight »

#5 is definitely the one 8)
LEARNING TO WALK WALKING TO LEARN
stgardn01
Talent

Post by stgardn01 »

Idea #1: The Symbions

Idea #2: Angel's Feather

Idea #3: One Way Ticket to Earth, Please

Idea #4: The Navigators

Idea #5: The Fox and the Hawk

All of the ideas

I like all of these ideas for stories, but my priority would be:

I hope they are written.

Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan
Ymarsakar
Novice

Post by Ymarsakar »

I am probably most intrigued by your take on story 2, Fel, concerning personal redemption of a loved one.

Sure, it has been done, but your talents are superior than the great majority of writers, Fel. So I would be interested in your take, especially given how I liked the redeeming of enemies in your previous stories, into new allies. Perhaps that is the anime fan in my, or maybe it is due to reading American history.

A great nation has to make former enemies into current friends or allies. Just as a great person must be able to, in my view.

Story 5 is obviously popular with folks, me included, because I've already read your Forgotten Realms themed story, the Firestaff and Pyrosian Chronicles. So I know what to expect. And it is of course going to skew us because you have given us quite a lot of intro material. Far more than the other stories.

I like the premise of the first story, the Symbions. Small squad tactics, personality, leadership from the front, those themes I appreciate.

I loved your ending of Subjugation. And if the ending for Symbion is anything like that, then I'm all for it. Even if it is different, I do like surprises.

Personally I thought your Dragonstar arc would be the serious adaptationg story, and your idea 4 would be the funny/satirical one. I just see the potentials that way. Making fun of bureacracy, across interspecies lines, always a big score with the volks.

My only regret with number 5 is the lack of magical surprises in a lvl 37 fighter. Although that could be handled by his wife, and I'm pretty sure has some ace cards in his portable bag/hole throughout his 200 years. I just love surprises, preferably nuclear in scope and firepower when the main character is down on his luck and the enemies are pressing in for Final Victory.
tyx2
Novice

Post by tyx2 »

Personaly i think 3 and 5
3. sounds great it starts along the line tarrin a normal every day bloke the the world decides to crap on and how he deals with it
5, its a little harder to explain why i like the sounds of it, i guess for me i loved baulders and icewind dale so i just want to know what happened to my chars when i got done playing - lol
also what makes it hard is we all know that what you put dont does not come close to how your stories play out take the firestaff collection what would the wright up on that of been before you wrote it

---Idea firestaff ---

an idea, This story also involves a regular young guy that gets bitten by a wearbeast and has to come to terms with a new self and how the world around him preceives him

Theme: fantasie??

Setting: new world

Plot: in a new world were present day rules no longer apply were old ledgeds still live tarrin must fight the unwinnable figth discover the reason behind changes forced appon him
The story is about tarrin attempts to to lead a normal life, his attempts to come to terms with magic and then later, after an incredible change stop an evil the gods allowed
ok i am nor a righter

it just does not do it any justice i say wright what ever you like just send me the first chapters (lol no im not kidding)
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

I'm considering locking this topic, mainly because the ideas were first raised about 18 months ago (Way back in October 2005).

Fel has said that the direction he's going will most likely be "The Shattered Rainbow", as described in this thread, and this thread.

It's a completely different universe/story than those described in the first post in this thread.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Spec8472 wrote:I'm considering locking this topic, mainly because the ideas were first raised about 18 months ago (Way back in October 2005).
!!! It's been that long already? Where the hell has time gone? It feel like not long ago at all... One and a half year...
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.