General Fey Questions/Observations

MechCraft
Initiate

General Fey Questions/Observations

Post by MechCraft »

I was just re-reading subjugation and a thought crossed my mind.

if simone is with tim for a long period of time, and because Humans and Fey are geneticaly compatable. does that mean she will have to find a new source of birth control??.
When the world bows before you, dont forget to wipe your feet.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Re: General Fey Questions/Observations

Post by Hearly »

mechcraft wrote:I was just re-reading subjugation and a thought crossed my mind.

if simone is with tim for a long period of time, and because Humans and Fey are geneticaly compatable. does that mean she will have to find a new source of birth control??.

I'm not sure, Fel never talked about what Birth control Faey use, I'd assume that Tim could get her prego...
lagomilo
Sorcerer

Post by lagomilo »

In chapter 4 of Subjugation, I  found the name Jesmind mentionend.  Not sure if it was supposed to be there or not.
MechCraft
Initiate

Post by MechCraft »

Posted by: lagomilo Posted on: 11.02.2005 at 15:09:38
In chapter 4 of Subjugation, I  found the name Jesmind mentionend.  Not sure if it was supposed to be there or not.  
no its not surposed to be jesmind, i believe Fel was having a bad day when he wrote that chapter because Tarrin also makes an apperence further on.

"everyone is entitled to mistakes, its makes it fun to correct"
hatten_jc
Initiate

Post by hatten_jc »

mechcraft wrote:
no its not surposed to be jesmind, i believe Fel was having a bad day when he wrote that chapter because Tarrin also makes an apperence further on.

"everyone is entitled to mistakes, its makes it fun to correct"

It esy to make mistake when you write fiction.
To mistake namn and it can be a bit embarasing result from that. :D

I know in a Fan Fiction i wrote i hade a older Police officer declare his love for his Female partner a younger police officer namn Lisa.
But in the Hole romantic episode i used the wrong namn on the police girl.
Never underestemate a person capacity to be stupid.

English is not my nativ languish.
codewarrior
Sorcerer

Post by codewarrior »

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~matt.davis/Cmabrigde/
Lead me not to temptation. I'm sure, I know the way better than you.
MechCraft
Initiate

Post by MechCraft »

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
a bit of a pondering observation.

we read letters as a whole to make a word. many words make a sentance. and many sentances make a story.

so in the distant future our words may not be individual letters but gliphs like the anchant egyptians, or the myans.

there for what we think is our past could also be our future.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

It could also show how advanced they were, compared to the rest of the world. And also, that 'modernization' is not necessarily a good thing.
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

Actually, think for example how hard would be to invent and use new world in word-gliph based language. And how hard would be to learn to read: take for example Chinese or Japanese language, and how long have they to learn language: all those signs...
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
MechCraft
Initiate

Post by MechCraft »

Actually, think for example how hard would be to invent and use new world in word-gliph based language. And how hard would be to learn to read: take for example Chinese or Japanese language, and how long have they to learn language: all those signs...
yes they are hard to learn but they are also a progressive corruption of the original.

who knows, maybe the original was written by letters first and over time the words then became idograms/gliphs.

who knows may be that in the distant future the word-gliphs will be the basis of computer programming for quantum machines.

either way what we know as english today may not be english of tomorrow?
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Like old English compared to todays. It's the same thing with Swedish. The Swedish spoken and written 200 years ago is barely the same language. And what is spoken in 200 years will be the same. Evolution at its best (or worst...)
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

mechcraft wrote:yes they are hard to learn but they (i.e. Chinese and Japanese) are also a progressive corruption of the original.
Not true. Chinese was created symbolical because it was meant to unify people speaking dialects (in which the precise pronouncation is very important, as they are tonal languages) in whole China, so people can understand each other in writing, in spite of they cannot understand each other speaking. Add to that bureocratic government... and you have word-glyph based written language (logogramic writing system) in moderns world, despite its disadvantages (e.g. entering those characters to computer system).

Japanese is syllabic (moraeic) writing system... but they use Chinese characters too. Japan was pretty isolated and isolationist...

I'd like to have somebody more knowledgeable to speak on the subject.

Summary: I don't believe that we are in the future to use logographic or syllabic writing systems. Maybe we will use more single shorthand logographics symbols, like & for 'and', and @ for 'at'...

Some things (but not all) I have checked at Wikipedia
Last edited by Shadowhawk on Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

Look at the changes in the English lang.uage due to the use of chat, Instant messaging, hacker speak (l33t), and other changes.  How about the many uses for a simple word like Dude.  Look up it's original meaning.  Or how many uses for the word Bad.  Language evolves.  Thats what keeps the dictionary people in business.

J-Man5
MechCraft
Initiate

Post by MechCraft »

Look at the changes in the English lang.uage due to the use of chat, Instant messaging, hacker speak (l33t), and other changes.  How about the many uses for a simple word like Dude.  Look up it's original meaning.  Or how many uses for the word Bad.  Language evolves.  Thats what keeps the dictionary people in business.
we might end up with 2 different dialects of the same written language. (SMS, Gliph)
then again you could add mathmatics its language all of its own, so we might end up with 3. ???

where would the madness stop? oops forgot geekspeak ;)
Journeywoman
Sui'Kun

Post by Journeywoman »

If English evolves into a glyph system I doubt it would become like Chinese because it is so totally different and would take at least one generation to get the new system through. On the other side I find the english alphabet to be more versitle rather than having infinate number of characters (many looking very similar) as words. In case your wondering I am actually learning Chinese and note my view in my previous point is very bias as english is my first language.

As for character progression they started out as pictograms and some characters still carry evidence of this for instance <edit, my character program obviously doesn't work on this board> (tree) sort of looks like a stylised tree. They couldn't exactly do this for abstract and newer words so they had to come up with different symbols or combination of existing symbols for those things. My favorite example of this is computer which literally translates as 'electric brain'.
And Mechcraft computers can write characters by either using one hell of a large keyboard ;) or, like me, using pin yin (our alphabet but without tones since they are difficult on standard keyboards) to come up with every character possibility and then chosing the appropriate character.

As for what I think will happen with english's evolution, I think in terms of alphabet, it'll evolve, heck it's already evolved within the computer age as you all can read '@' as a word. I recon if it does go into gliphs they will be represented and probably expanded on what we already have. However I know other people, such as George Bernard Shaw, have other ideas, like the english alphabet being shrunk. Anyway I that's my two cents and I leave you with Mr Shaw's idea :P:
Having chosen English as the preferred language in the EEC, the European
Parliament has commissioned a feasibility study in ways of improving
efficiency in communications between Government departments.

European officials have often pointed out that English spelling is
unnecessarily difficult - for example, cough, plough, rough, through and
thorough. What is clearly needed is a phased programme of changes to
iron out these anomalies. The programme would, of course, be
administered by a committee staff at top level by participating nations.

In the first year, for example, the committee would suggest using 's'
instead of the soft 'c'. Sertainly, sivil servants in all sities would
resieve this news with joy. Then the hard 'c' could be replaced by 'k'
sinse both letters are pronounsed alike. Not only would this klear up
konfusion in the minds of klerikal workers, but typewriters kould be
made with one less letter.

There would be growing enthusiasm when in the sekond year, it kould be
announsed that the troublesome 'ph' would henseforth be written 'f'.
This would make words like 'fotograf' twenty per sent shorter in print.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted
to reash the stage where more komplikated shanges are possible.
Governments would enkourage the removal of double letters which have
always been a deterent to akurate speling.

We would al agre that the horible mes of silent 'e's in the languag is
disgrasful. Therefor we kould drop thes and kontinu to read and writ as
though nothing had hapend. By this tim it would be four years sins the
skem began and peopl would be reseptive to steps sutsh as replasing 'th'
by 'z'. Perhaps zen ze funktion of 'w' kould be taken on by 'v', vitsh
is, after al, half a 'w'. Shortly after zis, ze unesesary 'o kould be
dropd from words kontaining 'ou'. Similar arguments vud of kors be aplid
to ozer kombinations of leters.

Kontinuing zis proses yer after yer, ve vud eventuli hav a reli sensibl
riten styl. After tventi yers zer vud be no mor trubls, difikultis and
evrivun vud fin it ezi tu understand ech ozer. Ze drems of the Guvermnt
vud finali hav kum tru.
Last edited by Journeywoman on Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abandon the search for truth; settle for good fantasy!