Demon's Bane, chapter 10 (SPOILERS)

storyreader2005
Sorcerer

Re: Demon's Bane, chapter 10 (SPOILERS)

Post by storyreader2005 »

Fel wrote:rphilip: Druidic magic is an extension of the power of the Elder God that controls the world. That's the power that Druid tap into when they use their magic. Druids on Sennadar are directly tapping into Ayise's power.

What makes it such a big deal (and without revealing anything) is that there IS no Elder God on Pyrosia. He abandoned the world of Pyrosia eons ago. No Druid should be able to use Druidic magic on Pyrosia without being instantly killed, yet the shadow has found a way to do it.

That's why it's a big deal.
I thought that it was such a big deal was because the shadow isn't (or at least wasn't) alive, that the shadow was basically a magical construct.

I did think about the fact that there wasn't a "god" to provide the mechanics of "how" to do what the druid wants, and thus would fry them to a crisp the first time they tried anything, and discounted that fact. Mostly due to this quote:
Axe of the Dwarven King - Chapter 11 wrote:It was more of the same the next day, and the next day, as Triana systematically broke down his ability to regenerate and then physically exhausted him. She broke him down so severely that his regeneration couldn’t completely recover to face the next day, a day that was even more strenuous than the last. She pushed him beyond his physical limits, pushed him so hard that he would collapse on a daily basis, physically incapable of carrying out her tasks, and that was what she had been waiting for. After a ride of this torture, he finally demanded to know why he had to kill himself on a daily basis when she intended to teach him a magical art, which had nothing to do with the body.

“Phaugh,” she had snorted in her typical manner. “I thought you’d know better than to ask such a stupid question. The limits of a Druid are physical limits, how much power your body can handle. You can increase it by being fit. If I wasn’t in such good shape, I wouldn’t be able to do half of what I do.”
So I was thinking that since Tarrin's shadow was a magical construct and had no "true" physical body that it could survive tapping into the power of the "All" on Pyrosia. But since it doesn't have a true physical body it shouldn't be able to use druid magic. The classic "catch-22" situation.

At least that's what I thought the big deal was. Looks like I was wrong (unless Fel decides that he likes this explanation better and changes things in subsequent chapters. You know, since he hasn't actually posted them, or any answers for that matter, yet).
rphilip
Talent

Post by rphilip »

Thank's, that makes sense now.
Mistra
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mistra »

wel, i thought of it like this, tarrin's shadow is a construct made by a god, so it's divine magic, and it keeps on looking for power. At one time he found the all on pyrosia and tapped into it, i'd say tarrin's shadow is now in command of the all of pyrosia, in effect making it the pyrosian elder god.(since it IS divine energy after all) Or is this to much of a stretch? :D
Never_Fear
Novice

Post by Never_Fear »

If the shadow inherited Tarrins Druidic ability does that mean it also inherited his ability to use sorcery and wizard magic?
afrigeek
Da'Shar

Post by afrigeek »

Mistra wrote: i'd say tarrin's shadow is now in command of the all of pyrosia, in effect making it the pyrosian elder god.(since it IS divine energy after all) Or is this to much of a stretch? :D
Too much!! If it had that much power it wouldn't even need the sword to destroy the demon Lord. It would have the power of an elder god which is certainly enough.

I think that when Tarrin accessed the ALL of Pyrosia when he was making the weave, he imprinted his conscious onto it. I remember mention of how the ALL seemed to be attuning itself to him the more time he spent on Pyrosia and since the shadow is a construct of his, it probably could now access the power therein.

Noah.
"Bachelors should be heavily taxed. It is not fair that some men should be happier than others." - Oscar Wilde

What actually happened was that George Dubya Bush saw an Iraqi maths teacher carrying a geometry set, accused him of being a member of the notorious Al-gebra movement, and charged him with possessing weapons of maths instruction.
Omegano
Initiate

Post by Omegano »

I just realized something. If Tarrin's shadow could figure out how to use Druidic Magic, is it too much of a stretch to think that maybe the Demons have figured it out as well? It would explain a lot concerning the tactics that they are using. Tarrin has no way to block druidic magic, and that means they could use it to get the rest of the Demons to the battlefield, and Shaz’Baket could use it to get right to Tarrin. If done right, no one could react fast enough to keep from getting skewered, not even Allia. Especially when you have six arms, and thus six swords to try and skewer them with. Anyway, if that's the case, I'd love to see how Tarrin counters it.

On a side note: Fel, we all know that when it comes to writing stories, you are a mage (as your name implies). However, as this latest cliffhanger proves, you are an EVIL mage, and thus I propose a slight change to your name: Ontor Fel (means literally "evil mage"). If I knew more Draconic, I could figure out something a little better. But, alas, those two words are the scope of my knowledge. Anyway, just a casual suggestion.

Edit: I just double checked, and it is NOT Draconic. Need to contact a friend to figure out what language it is. "Malsvir hewa" is evil mage in Draconic, by the way.

Edit 2: Contacted my friend, he isn't sure but he thinks it's Abyssal. He can't find the issue of Dragon magazine that he got it from to confirm it.

Omegano
Last edited by Omegano on Tue May 15, 2007 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Go ahead. Ask me any question, but if it needs logic or intelligence, you will want to ask that brain thingie that lives in in my head instead.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Omegano wrote:I just realized something. If Tarrin's shadow could figure out how to use Druidic Magic, is it too much of a stretch to think that maybe the Demons have figured it out as well? It would explain a lot concerning the tactics that they are using. Tarrin has no way to block druidic magic,
Omegano
No but Enron can block Druid magic...

:P
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Hearly wrote:
Omegano wrote:I just realized something. If Tarrin's shadow could figure out how to use Druidic Magic, is it too much of a stretch to think that maybe the Demons have figured it out as well? It would explain a lot concerning the tactics that they are using. Tarrin has no way to block druidic magic,
Omegano
No but Enron can block Druid magic...

:P
Eron, ERON. Not Enron! LOL

My opinion? When Tarrin created the shadow, the sword was whole. Thus you had a divine Shadow and a divine artifact, both under the creation of the same god. When Tarrin placed all of his godly abilities into the sword, he in essence turned the artifact sword into a mini-firestaff type item.

In the Shadow's quest to kill the Demon Lord, it got the other half of the sword. The sword half recognized the shadow as a creation of it's own magic. The shadow could then draw on the partial energies of the broken artifact. That was probably enough to spark the intelligence of the shadow. But it was a broken intelligence, just like the sword was broken.

The Shadow burned a lot of it's stored magical power hopping back to Tarrin, where it directed the sword piece to connect to the All, like Tarrin directs the Firestaff. The sword piece normally wouldn't have the power to interface with the all, if it wasn't for the fact that it was working to grab the other half of itself at a stupidly close range.

That would be the reason the shadow had to get so close. Distance limits the output of power needed to summon, and it was summoning a piece of itself anyways, which is so familiar it probably drops power requirements again. Making it pretty much managable.

Shadow now has both pieces of sword, has confused Tarrin and Triana long enough to make it's way away. It fuses the sword together, and now the Shadow can direct the sword to interact with the all at will, which most likely recognizes the godly aspect as the aspect that it took the nature of when Tarrin created the All, so it's willing to be controlled. So basically, you have the Shadow drawing off the sword directing the All. And the sword draws directly from the Firestaff, which apparently has enough power to create a god that can destroy a non-Prime plane.

That kind of power could easily direct the All without getting itself destroyed.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Javna
Katzh-dashi

Post by Javna »

Omegano wrote:I just realized something. If Tarrin's shadow could figure out how to use Druidic Magic, is it too much of a stretch to think that maybe the Demons have figured it out as well? It would explain a lot concerning the tactics that they are using.
If I read it right...
Can demons use druidic magic sins thay are demons. demons = chaos and druids = nature = balance. And to use the All dont the demon (lord) have to spank everything to get to the ALL

And I have never read that demons used druidic magic, but they love to use Wizard magic...
There's a fine line between genius and madness.
Me I crossed the line long ago
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Javna wrote:
Omegano wrote:I just realized something. If Tarrin's shadow could figure out how to use Druidic Magic, is it too much of a stretch to think that maybe the Demons have figured it out as well? It would explain a lot concerning the tactics that they are using.
If I read it right...
Can demons use druidic magic sins thay are demons. demons = chaos and druids = nature = balance. And to use the All dont the demon (lord) have to spank everything to get to the ALL

And I have never read that demons used druidic magic, but they love to use Wizard magic...
You're reading too much into D&D. Druidic magic in Fel's world is the power of the Elder God(dess) that created the plane. Normally, you're right that demons can't use druidic magic because the Elder would just deny them the power.

On Pyrosia, it's a different story, because there isn't an Elder God to deny the demon. The demon would still have to subjugate the power of the All by controlling the land, but there's less standing in the way of their being able to do it.

I would assume in the Abyss that there exists a magic akin to druidic magic, because the demons probably can draw freely on the evil, tainted power of that plane.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
aberia
Sorcerer

Post by aberia »

how did tarrin's shadow get the peice of the sword that the demons had recovered ? Tarrins shadow has been growing stronger by using demon souls to power itself. Has it over extended itself where the shadow has been turned by the corrupting influence of demon souls and is now in league with the demon lord ??

cyberia
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Well, the cliffhanger is meant to wrought thinking in the minds.

Tarrin shadow able to use Druidic magic, d#$m, what else could it actually do or cannot do then?? The possibility is well ... endless.

Hehe, what will the dragons think.. they are not yet mixed in!!
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Downdude
Katzh-dashi

Post by Downdude »

Well it was assumed that the demons had the other piece of the sword but it could have been the shadow that got that piece to begin with. It should be interesting to see what it can do with the full sword now...
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Guys, you don't need to use the spoilers tag in here, when you're discussing chapter 10 stuff.

'course, if Chapter 11 were out - you couldn't discuss that, in this thread.

- Will
(Well and truly late to the party at the moment)
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Spec8472 wrote:Guys, you don't need to use the spoilers tag in here, when you're discussing chapter 10 stuff.

'course, if Chapter 11 were out - you couldn't discuss that, in this thread.

- Will
(Well and truly late to the party at the moment)
Huh Spec! You got me there.

I always thought discussing the Chapters ahead is pure conjecture until Fel gives out a cookie!!

But the Demon losing finally, is a foregone conclusion.

Hmm.. But who else (in Tarrin's inner group) is going to die... is open to debate. In Chapter 10, there is underlying words mentioning sacrifice, just wondering if someone is going to draw the short end. I was expecting Dolanna ... where Tarrin will be able to revive her ... but also someone else whom Tarrin cannot resurrect. Maybe Phandebrass with that Elaran wizardress. (Wizard in a dress)
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.