2 Questions (no epic spoilers, but maybe a minor one or two)

Nate
Novice

2 Questions (no epic spoilers, but maybe a minor one or two)

Post by Nate »

I'm sure my 2 questions have been worked to death elsewhere, but I didn't see anythingn on the Error Wiki, so I'm still curious.

Anyways.

So, when Tarrin is confronting Jemrik in Demon's Bane ch 1, he slips by the warded door to confront him again inside.

Jemrik winced. “I’m sorry about that, my Lord. I didn’t really even look at ye. I didn’t realize ye were a god til you managed to slip through my defensive spells and accost me in here. Er, how did ye do that? I know ye couldn’t have teleported through the door, anyone who’s lived here any time at all knows that that’s the first thing ye do when laying down yer protections, because of those those damned thieving Demons and their ability to teleport around at will. Did my protective spells fade or something?”
“No, your defensive spells were impeccably placed, and they’re still going strong,” Tarrin told him with complete honesty. “You’d have stopped just about anyone but me, probably even quite a few gods.”
“But, but how did ye do it?”
“I know a trick,” he said lightly. “It’s a very rare and relatively unknown trick. But it’s damn effective.”
“I can see that,” he laughed. “So ye are a god of magic then?”
“No, not at all.”
“Then how did ye come to learn this trick so rare and unknown that even gods don’t know about it?”
“My mother taught me,” he said with a slight smile.
I'm assuming Tarrin's talking about that last 4-step spell that Triana taught him. But that's _druid_ magic. Which is explicitly stated he could _not_ use in the Nexus.

And that was the power he would wield in this world. There was no Weave here in this outer plane, so he could not use Sorcery. The All of this dimension would fry him to ashes if he even thought about touching it, so he could not use his Druidic abilities. But he could use Wizard and Priest magic
Did I miss something, or was that just a minor mistake on Fel's part? Or did he use a different trick that I'm just not remembering?

The other thing that's been bugging me is a loose-end from Sword. Tarrin was continuing his attemt to understand the languages of Priest and Arcane magic.

Mist snorted. “He’s trying to learn the languages, fool females,” she said gratingly. “He told me that a while ago. He’s trying to understand the languages of those two magicks.”
“Is he nuts?” Camara Tal exclaimed in a harsh whisper. “No mortal can comprehend the language of the gods!”
“And if he thinks he can make any sense out of the language of magic, I’m afraid I didn’t teach him half as well as I thought I did,” Kimmie said with pursed lips. “The language makes absolutely no sense at all. Wizards have literally driven themselves insane trying to comprehend it.”
“Be that as it may, he’s still trying,” Mist told them.
“Why?” both asked.
“He thinks that the closer he is to understanding the languages, the more power and control he’ll have over the magic. I didn’t really understand his explanation, it was way over my head. My mate is much smarter than me,” she admitted honestly.

I didn't see any resolution to his attempt...unless I missed something, he hadn't figured it out yet. Anyone have a feeling on where that one's going? It's mentioned again in Demon's Bane ch1, but not along the lines of breaking the code of the languages.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Re: 2 Questions (no epic spoilers, but maybe a minor one or two)

Post by Hearly »

Nate wrote:I'm sure my 2 questions have been worked to death elsewhere, but I didn't see anythingn on the Error Wiki, so I'm still curious.

So, when Tarrin is confronting Jemrik in Demon's Bane ch 1, he slips by the warded door to confront him again inside.

Did I miss something, or was that just a minor mistake on Fel's part? Or did he use a different trick that I'm just not remembering?

I assume he means Niami and that was his ability to split himself into 3 different parts and slip his "soul" into that projection..

Mist snorted. “He’s trying to learn the languages, fool females,” she said gratingly. “He told me that a while ago. He’s trying to understand the languages of those two magicks.”
“Is he nuts?” Camara Tal exclaimed in a harsh whisper. “No mortal can comprehend the language of the gods!”
“And if he thinks he can make any sense out of the language of magic, I’m afraid I didn’t teach him half as well as I thought I did,” Kimmie said with pursed lips. “The language makes absolutely no sense at all. Wizards have literally driven themselves insane trying to comprehend it.”
“Be that as it may, he’s still trying,” Mist told them.
“Why?” both asked.
“He thinks that the closer he is to understanding the languages, the more power and control he’ll have over the magic. I didn’t really understand his explanation, it was way over my head. My mate is much smarter than me,” she admitted honestly.
I didn't see any resolution to his attempt...unless I missed something, he hadn't figured it out yet. Anyone have a feeling on where that one's going? It's mentioned again in Demon's Bane ch1, but not along the lines of breaking the code of the languages.
I think the resolution was the fact that he could create the shadow, and do what he does in the outer planes.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Somewhere, and maybe someone else can point it out cause I don't remember it off hand, Fel talks about the first question, but Hearly nailed it on the head.

For the second, I think part of it is his abilities in the outer planes, but I think that it also has something to do with the whole "Knowledge is power" thing. I think that Kimmie or Phandebrass talked about it at some point. Phandebrass can cast such strong spells because he knows so much about everything. I think that Tarrin is trying to understand the language in order to have more control and power over the language.

For instance, in English, "address" is pronounced the same, but has two meanings. Or another way, the English word "bass," pronounced two different ways for two different and completely unrelated meanings. On way of saying it means a type of fish; the other means a deep pitched musical instrument or voice range.

I think Tarrin was trying to figure out these subtle differences in the language. From the description that Fel gave us, it seems like the language the Wizards use is a very tonal language, like Japanese or Cherokee. So perhaps the study was to figure out the difference in the little differences and meanings that pronunciation changes. And by knowing those differences, he would have more control and more power over the spells.

Of course, that's just a guess... :wink:
dadrago
Novice

Post by dadrago »

not sure if any of the previous repliers spelled it out.

but here goes. originally when Tarrin shows up in the crossroads, he is as a soul, his soul is a GOD's SOUL. and because of his use of the wizard spell 'Gift' in relation to Dolanna and her were - immunity and absorption new ability, he was made into a 'Younger' god. he had a true follower/worshiper. and that allowed him to give himself 'divine abilities' and one of the abilities was to create numerous 'dopple-gangers' which were exact duplacates of himself along with the ability to 'transfer' himself to any of his dopple-ganger persona's.

for your second question, Tarrin's ability to use magic that he doesn't understand is part of his Mi'Shira abilities. and with him trying to learn and understand the languages behind priest and wizard magic, he's trying to understand the inherent magic that makes up priest and wizard magic. he pretty much already understood druid and sorcery and now he's trying to understand those two also. and where he has the conversation he has with the part snake inn-keeper in the crossroads he explains that where he's originally from that wizards can cast any spell they know but have to keep memorizing them for lack of a better explanation because they forget the spells after casting them x number of times and Tarrin explains that the measure of how good a wizard is or isn't is how many times they can cast a spell before they have to memorize it again. but previously before going to pyrosia when they were still in Tarrin's house he said something to the effect that they measured how good a wizard was by how long they could remember a spell before they forgot it and had to rememorize it. Tarrin said that he had about a week of memmory, kimmy had 2 weeks, and phandebrass had about a month. sorry forget where's and when's about that last part.

hope that helps with clearing up anything.

drago