Demon's Bane, Chapter 8 (SPOILERS!!!)

Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Demon's Bane, Chapter 8 (SPOILERS!!!)

Post by Fiferguy »

Fel,

I think I noticed a typo.. in the fourth paragraph, you say, "He forgot to get in touch with Sapphire to find out exactly how many dragons were going to be going to Sennadar" Shouldn't that be how many were going to Pyrosia?

Just curious. As always, a great chapter!! :D
Lokis Advisor
Initiate

Re: Demon's Bane, Chapter 8 (SPOILERS!!!)

Post by Lokis Advisor »

I am just a small bit curious. :?:
In the text after Tarrin is finished in Acheron when Tarrin tells Niami that the One gave his word she said "Ah".
Is it a given that when a God gives their word that that is that and they won't go back on it.
I would have thought that Gods go back on there words as many times as mortals do and as often as they see fit.
Or is the GOG a control mechanism that keeps them to it?

Fel, thank you as allways. I and the buch of folks that I have convinced to read your works are most gratefull when you grace us with a new chapter. :D
Enjoy the time you spend having someone else expand your mind.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

I forget where it was, but somewhere Tarrin finds out that when a God gives his word, it's binding. Part of their defining natures or something. But I'm too lazy to go through the books and find the exact spot. Maybe Lochar will know...he's a fountain of useless information. :twisted:
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Just so.

A god can lie his/her ass off all they want, but when they give their word, they're required to carry it out.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Lunchbox
Initiate

Post by Lunchbox »

humm wasnt it when a god promises to keep their word "on their god-dom"?
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

It was after he had defeated Val's shadow, when Keritamina was giving birth in Wikuna, and he was talking with the Demon Empress of Arak ....(god, I don't remember her name! I must reread for a 6th time) She was explaining to him about the Deva, Solars and so on and he binded her to be his friend or something. It had a name though, something with G....
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Fel wrote:Just so.

A god can lie his/her ass off all they want, but when they give their word, they're required to carry it out.
Yeah, but I bet it's "to the letter" rather than "in the spirit"...

"I won't attack you"... (but I'll pay someone else to attack you instead!)
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Metatrone wrote:It was after he had defeated Val's shadow, when Keritamina was giving birth in Wikuna, and he was talking with the Demon Empress of Arak ....(god, I don't remember her name! I must reread for a 6th time) She was explaining to him about the Deva, Solars and so on and he binded her to be his friend or something. It had a name though, something with G....
I went back and read the conversation between Shiika and Tarrin, but I didn't see it there. She talked about where they truly lived, but not about the honesty thing. A chapter or so later, she does get mad at him for putting a geas on her, but it was an accident.

Hmm...One of these days I'll reread the whole series again and I'll find it... :)
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

Oh, right :) Sorry, I just associate it with that moment, because he puts the gaes on her then. Actually I think Niami explains the Gaes in a conversation some time after Shiika gets mad.
Sbudda
Initiate

Post by Sbudda »

I can see the confusion. Most of the Rules of the Gods that Niami has spoken of, involve the rules that Aiyse had put in place for Sennadar. There hasn't been much discussion of possible rules outside that Plane (except for the One Rule in Crossroads).

Perhaps it's not a rule designated by the GoG, but rather a side effect of being, and consorting with, immortals. If you ever had a reputation of being untruthful when giving your word, it isn't likely anyone would ever forget.

That's really the only thing that allows me to rationalize Shikka. Breaking her word to Tarrin would likely piss off the Elder Gods who allow her to remain there, as it would indicate that the word she gave to them wasn't worth anything to her. It doesn't seem that the GoG would enforce this rule to Demonkind.
bigbird312
Talent

Post by bigbird312 »

If i remember correctly

tarrin traveled into a tree that had a hole in it to get to the land of
darnit hate when this happen's i think it was twilight for ever a new day
not night not day anyway the goddess there wanted to set up a temple and she gave tarrin her word not to take over or help.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Also, with Breena of the Dawn.

When she gave her word, Tarrin knew she would keep it because of the way she promised. It's probably like binding on their truename.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Blyker
Sorcerer

Post by Blyker »

Ok so a couple of Gods are helping to smash those Zakkites. But i imagine that those same Zakkites have a God that they worship as well who would loose power when his followers get killed.
So just like the Vendar God helps the Vendar wont the Zakkite God help his own followers?
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

With all the sorcerers around, it won't matter unless he does something directly. And they can't do that. And really, the Vendari Gods did nothing against the Zakkites. They just moved some of their followers to Suld. :twisted:

But even if the Zakkite Gods decide to boost anything, it won't help. Tarrin, Jenna, and the rest of the sorcerers there can just make a ward and kill off wizard and priestly magic near them. With the couple hundred sorcerers that are going, there won't really be much of a struggle. The Zakkites are too dependant on their magic to be much of a physical contest for the Knights and the Vendari, and the Sorcerers will take away their magic, so they can't use that in their favor. Throw in the dragons that are going, and well...it's going to be a short fight.
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

I thought the Zakkites worshiped Val?...Have they switched or something?