Question about Dolanna being Tarin's only Priest

shades98
Initiate

Question about Dolanna being Tarin's only Priest

Post by shades98 »

In Demon's bane Tarrin tells Naimi that Dolanna is his priest due to him granting her the wish and her complete trust in him. My question is: Couldn't Mist be a priest as well?

Since Tarrin healed her and Fel described Dolanna's feelings toward Tarrin in the almost exact words that he described the feelings of Mist toward him. Or is the difference between the two was that his gift to Dolanna was given while he has the soul of a God whereas with Mists he was still a mortal?
Fel
Weavespinner

Re: Question about Dolanna being Tarin's only Priest

Post by Fel »

The short of it is yes, Mist COULD be a Priest, but she doesn't have that kind of faith.

Her loyalty and devotion springs from her love for him, not her adulation of him.

But yes, if she began to regard him in that manner, she could become a Priese.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

Methinks it was just curveball from Fel. He strongly suggested us Mist devotion ("She couldn't fail, she wouldn't fail")... and then made Dolanna Tarrin's Priest.

Besides I guess (from the discussion here and on IRC) that it is important for God to bestow a gift on the True Follower to make him Main Priest. And Tarrin gave Dolanna very important (for her) gift of Immunity to Lycanthropy (Were-Immunity) via the Arcane (Wizard's) spell of Wish. Gift from Tarrin as God (well, also from Tarrin as mortal).

BTW. this topic was taken up here, somewhere in "Chapter XX" post or similar. Use the search feature...
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Fel wrote:The short of it is yes, Mist COULD be a Priest, but she doesn't have that kind of faith.

Her loyalty and devotion springs from her love for him, not her adulation of him.

But yes, if she began to regard him in that manner, she could become a Priese.
Are you sure? I mean in the Story she seems to have a lot of faith in him..
(I mean you are the author and all but you never know :P ) (I am kidding with you fel, If you say she isn't a follower then she isn't a follower..)

Shadowhawk,
Tarrin has given a Gift to Mist, I do not think there is a timeframe on or how gifts are given, but he did give her back the ablility to have Children... hence gift was given....
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Problem with that Hearly is that the gift of having children was given while Tarrin was a true mortal. Not empowered by the Firestaff, not after his death, etc.

When Tarrin used the wish to give Dolanna the immunity, it was during the time he had a god's soul.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Lochar wrote:Problem with that Hearly is that the gift of having children was given while Tarrin was a true mortal. Not empowered by the Firestaff, not after his death, etc.

When Tarrin used the wish to give Dolanna the immunity, it was during the time he had a god's soul.
I'm not sure that would matter, I remeber (can't remeber which chapter/book) Tarrin was being told that some Younger gods ascended after they died to become gods, wouldn't that require some type of faith in them by people before they died and became Younger gods?
Lunchbox
Initiate

Post by Lunchbox »

i believe what you are talking about is when a Goddess fell in love with a mortal and when the mortal died the Goddess made him a Younger God
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Dragor the Industrious. In life, he was loved by a Goddess. When he died, she managed to elevate him to the point of a Younger God. I don't know if it was her faith in him, or if she managed to inspire others.

I think Niami said sometime that a Younger God that ascended from being a mortal if they lost all their followers they just returned to being human.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Lunchbox
Initiate

Post by Lunchbox »

yup thats what i was talking about
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

Hearly wrote:Tarrin has given a Gift to Mist, I do not think there is a timeframe on or how gifts are given, but he did give her back the ablility to have Children... hence gift was given....
I would think rather of divine (plus protection from fire) infused amulet/shaeram, whcih protected Mist from Marlith attacks. This gift included Tarrin aspect as demi-god.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")