Boom.

Fel
Weavespinner

Boom.

Post by Fel »

That's something approaching the sound my car made on Friday. :(

So...there's going to be yet another delay, because now my car is in the shop and I'm scrambling to find ways to and from work, which really tops out my stress level given all the other insanity going on right now. I haven't heard back from them yet as to what the problem is, but Bobby, my neighbor who's a mechanic, suspects that I've got a blown ring in the engine. I hope he's wrong, cause that's gonna cost some serious money to fix, and I went past "rolling change" 2 weeks ago.

I've managed to get about 15 pages of Demon 6 finished, but truth be told, this car situation has me too unsettled right now to write coherently. I literally depend on my car; I live 5 miles from the nearest convenience store, every single one of my relatives moved out of town which leaves me alone here, and getting a cab to come out here and take me to work costs nearly $15. I can't afford doing that for long, I'd be using up my entire paycheck just to get to work.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Re: Boom.

Post by Spec8472 »

:(

Please check your PMs...
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

It won't be a blown ring. It'll be something stupid. Hopefully.

Here's to having the car working ASAP. Cabs are not a cheap means of transportation.

Since you're 5 miles from even a convience store, a bike is out of the question I assume.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
freethrow
Sorcerer

Post by freethrow »

Fel, if your car is rather old it may be better to try and find a beater for 3-500 to get you by for awhile rather than dump a ton of many into the one you have? A boom could have been your timing belt going bad and you had a big back fire? Good luck pal. I hope whatever it is goes easy on you.
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

I'm still with the 10-speed idea.

MD
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

How about we start the emergency get Fel to work fund? or the carpool fel to work fund... what state are you in? (I don't mean what mental state are you in. With the car going boom I'm pretty sure your in the mental state of anguish.) Best wishes on getting the car going again... especially going something other than boom.
~Michael
MommyDoom

Post by MommyDoom »

michaelsuave wrote:How about we start the emergency get Fel to work fund? or the carpool fel to work fund... what state are you in? (I don't mean what mental state are you in. With the car going boom I'm pretty sure your in the mental state of anguish.) Best wishes on getting the car going again... especially going something other than boom.
~Michael
I just wish the boy would get a P.O. box so I can send him some cash...
MD
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

I second the motion for the PO box. Either that or get set up with paypal or something. Heck, every tom dick and harry that draws a webcartoon or writes an online book has a donation ability, and Fel blows them out of the water. FEL! GET A DONATION ABILITY! Thats an order soldier! 8) :x
~Michael
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

I'm very strongly against the idea of setting up Paypal/accepting donations.

The site says it all; it's free.

The very idea of taking money so people can read my work seems wrong to me.

Of course, that's the idealist speaking. If I get really desperate, I might reconsider.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Fel wrote:The very idea of taking money so people can read my work seems wrong to me..
Some people may not be thinking of it as giving money so they can read your work...
These people might be thinking of it more as wanting to give a gift to someone who is obviously in need.
MommyDoom

Post by MommyDoom »

Spec8472 wrote:
Fel wrote:The very idea of taking money so people can read my work seems wrong to me..
Some people may not be thinking of it as giving money so they can read your work...
These people might be thinking of it more as wanting to give a gift to someone who is obviously in need.
Or indulging an overacting maternal instinct... he he he.

MD
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Fel, I understand your (this is totally free to read) and I really like that. It is usually my understanding with Authors or artists who accept donations is that it is exactly that, a donation just in “support” of keeping the work going and keeping it free. Legally speaking, a donation is not a fee, or a price paid in lieu of a service, a donation is a gift given with out any sort of recompense needed or intended. I personally just want to give you a gift because I know you are struggling and because your books have given me hours upon hours of enjoyment. Its not a payment, in my mind, it would be like saying, "hey friend, thanks for adding joy to my life, how about I take you out to lunch/buy you a birthday present/a thank you card/a gift certificate..." but since I don't know you personally, it would be nice if there was some way that I can support you in your work endeavors monetarily. Just because some people decide to give you some money, doesn't mean that your work ceases to be free to all to read. Well, I hope you will think about it. I only meant my comment in a friendly manner, and we all appreciate the work that you produce and understand the hardship of car problems and money troubles. I'm personally am a law student up to my eyeballs in student loans, and with a car that is a bit cantankerous, so I understand the stress when the car makes the boom sound. Anyway, best wishes and thanks for all the writing fel.
~Michael 8)
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi
Location: NorAm, Earth, SOL, Milky Way, GalacZip 314-159-265-358-979

Post by Were_Fan »

Fel wrote:That's something approaching the sound my car made on Friday. :(

<snip>
Let us hope it as as simple as my bom-rattle-rattle about 30 years ago. Somehow a spark plug had not been tightened when installed. It worked loose and finally blew out on a cumbustion cycle. Screwed it back in, tightened it and everything was fine until the woman turnewd in front of me while I was doiung 40mph. The car ended up about a foot shorter when the grill and radiator were pushed into the fan. <grin> This was on a 68 Ford Fairlane before the days of protective bumpers.
--
Jim/Were Fan
http://ilcomps.com
Baen Book free SciFi CDs:
http://www.ilcomps.com/Baen/Baen_index.htm
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Well.

Just found out that it is indeed the rings in the car, which means that the cost of repairing it is WAY beyond my means.

So, I'm gonna go get it now, and basicly just drive it the way it is til it suffers a terminal meltdown...really no other choice. I'll just have to be very careful to keep the oil filled and only drive it when necessary. Think my first trip will be down to a store that sells bicycles. On days the weather favors it, I'll be riding my bike to work, and save the car for days of bad weather and runs to the market. It'll be one ugly bike ride to work and back because of all the hills around here, but hell, I need the exercise anyway.

This does lock in some future considerations. Since my entire family moved to Florida and I remained behind to continue attending Marshall, I'm changing those plans. At the end of this semester, I'll be leaving West Virginia and moving to Tampa, Florida myself. I'll transfer to UCF I think, they're a good school and not very expensive. I just have to get a year of residency there before I can qualify for in-state tuition.
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

Sorry to hear 'bout the car. I had my own tribbles :wink: getting my BS degree.

As far as Florida goes, when someone yells "hurricane!" be sure to duck and cover. :D The past few years, Florida seems to have a huge bulls eye placed on top of it.

I still think you should reconsider the paypal. When a friend of mine was out of work for a few months last year, I would take him out to eat a lot of the time. It was not payment for friendship, it was friendship personified.

Fawks