Any Suggestions on New Cases?

Hearly
Speed Racer!

Re: Any Suggestions on New Cases?

Post by Hearly »

GBLW wrote:
Hearly wrote: Looks like this one is a bit nicer, it has a top fan where the link for the one above doesn't look like it has it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811133021
I actually have their model VA8003BWS, which is what you quoted, but it has fans both front and back as well as on the side - the opening on the top is a vent, not a fan.

The Pictures say it has a 90mm Fan on the top.. and so does the spec's 5 fan's cut and paste below

90mm Fans
1 x 90mm Rear Fan (Exhaust 1800rpm ,19dBA)
1 x 90mm Top Fan (Exhaust 1800rpm, 19dBA)
120mm Fans
1 x 120mm Front Blue LED Fan (Intake,1300rpm, 17dBA)
1 x 120mm Rear Blue LED Fan (Exhaust,1300rpm, 17dBA)
250mm Fans
1 x 250mm side fan
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

SNIFF!!!!
Mine doesn't have a fan on the top, but there could very well be a place to mount one. (Only I'd have to shut down and open it up to look.) Maybe I should ask them if they'd send me a new case if I complained?

NAH! It works just fine as it is - and it would be too dang much trouble to shift stuff around again.

I'll be honest though, next time I'll get a custom made case - over sized, double walled, with built in air filters and some sort of SOUND PROOFING (I find fan noise bothersome.)
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
kd7mvs
Sui'Kun

Post by kd7mvs »

GBLW wrote:I'll be honest though, next time I'll get a custom made case - over sized, double walled, with built in air filters and some sort of SOUND PROOFING (I find fan noise bothersome.)
The problem with soundproofing is that it tends to increase heat retention... Parts Express has 1/2" acoustical foam, with good PSA so easy to apply, but they note that it converts acoustic energy into low grade heat, as well as by its very nature it is an insulator http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=260-520; the question is where's the trade-off point, where more sound is reduced than heat is created in re fan noise dampening. Another thing to do in sound dampening is using small o-rings as washers when attaching things inside the case, this helps decrease vibration and related sounds.
Downdude
Katzh-dashi

Post by Downdude »

Here's my suggestions if it's not too late already...
Antec 300 $55
I use the 300 case myself w two 120mm fans in the front. I didn't put one on the side door because it seems to keep my case cool enough as is. I got the Thermaltake Thunderblade $5.28 fans. I went with the three hundred because the nine hundred case is a bit more of a pain to actually put your hdds and stuff in it and with the plexiglass side door its not as sturdy. But the nine hundred does come with all the fans you'll need (minus the side door if you want it).

My bro uses the 900 and that 200mm fan should be no issue unless you are messing around in the case with the fan on. It will pull more air than the 300 w only the 140mm fan on top though. You can get a replacement fan from antec in case you are a moron and try to stick something in it while it's spinning.
Antec 900 $107
Antec 200mm TriCool Fan for antec 900 case $25