Conviction Chapter 9 [Spoilers]

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
SYED
Child of Niami

Re: Conviction Chapter 9 [Spoilers]

Post by SYED »

The confederation has been using Kosigni to build their capital warships, while using their established shipyards to build their smaller military craft and ships. The ship bays of the supership could be refitted to construct confederate ships.

We know that some races settle and develop systems with no habitable planets. The super ships could be used as mobile settlements, as well as industry and infrastructure.

I wonder if confederation super ships weapons are powerful enough to to out gun the plasma weapons of the Benga. The confederate tech is most advanced, and I bet when scaled up and powered by multiple power sources, they might have a chance at dishing real damage to the super ships.
.S.A.M.K.M
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

They will need to capture a few hundred superships to give the every Confederation empire even one. Though if they can get the ships at Oasis to surrender, they will easily have enough to go around. But those ships that have a mostly intact superstructure should definitely be salvaged. The Karinnes would anyways probably replace a lot of the tech with their own. They will probably replace the jump engines and the computer core for sure, and replace a lot of weapons, and maybe even the main power plant. You could probably fit hundreds of particle beam projectors on a supership and probably a half dozon GRAF cannons, at least. Maybe they could even put disposable Megatron units on it since the ship has enough gravity to let them fire with the help of gravity inducers. But of course, they need to have the Megatron unit fire outward instead of inward, obviously. The Karinnes might even install a planetary shield on a supership. That monster of a ship could then lay waste to fleets of enemy ships.

As for staffing those ships, it could be a problem, but if they install a CBMOM to help run the ship and use bionoids to boost the crew during battle or during the busy times, they could probably downsize the crew drastically. Actually they would probably have to install a CBMOM to run a ship that big.

Of course, the other empires might want to leave more of the syndicate tech intact and just use it since they don't have all these cool toys.

And using some of them for moble bases and/or mobile ship repair yards would probably be a very good idea. Especially when the karinnes visit other galaxies to explore, bringing a base to operate out of and resupply while exploring would be the way to go.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Confederate tech is more advanced than the sydicate tech. I bet eventually the karrines and kimdori will gather info on the benga shipyards, then the confederation will build their own with their better tech.

I bet the super ships are inspiring the academy on attempting similar mega scal construction projects.
.S.A.M.K.M
Steve.K.Bates
Novice

Post by Steve.K.Bates »

Getting back to the precogs, the consortium discovered the Exiles and commandeered their equipment and some of their
people. So what happens to the people after a thousand odd years?? Well, can any of the races in the Consortium breed
with the Faye? If not, what happens to the gene pool? Do you hear banjos? Mutations are going to occur, and one very
possible mutation would be a precog...
It wouldn't be impossible for the Benga to capture one or two and build the Oracle system around them. Apparently they've
had the system for some time, as the battles they had to win were successful...

Just as an asides, how did the Benga get so competent at talent combat??
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

IIRC from the story where we learned about the the Syndicate it was mentioned that the battles started turning against the Consortium fairly recently, like in the last decade or something. That means that the Consortium had any descendants from the Exiles. That said, descendants from the Exiles is a rather interesting possibility that I hadn't considered.

As for how the Benga got so good at talented combat...well remember that the Consortium's insectoid armies were created to fight the Syndicate because they were so good at talented combat. I bet that it was part of the reason they got to the top of the heap in their galaxy, buy being able to well use their talent in much the same way the Fey do...though they don't have the ratio of talented people the Fey have.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Steve.K.Bates wrote:Getting back to the precogs, the consortium discovered the Exiles and commandeered their equipment and some of their
people. So what happens to the people after a thousand odd years?? Well, can any of the races in the Consortium breed
with the Faye? If not, what happens to the gene pool? Do you hear banjos? Mutations are going to occur, and one very
possible mutation would be a precog...
It wouldn't be impossible for the Benga to capture one or two and build the Oracle system around them. Apparently they've
had the system for some time, as the battles they had to win were successful...

Just as an asides, how did the Benga get so competent at talent combat??
The chances that the feay could breed with a race in andromeda is astronomical. I think the only reason feay and terrans are competible is because they are related.

But so far as we know, the consortium has no idea about about the precogs, so i'm sure they arent the desendents of the exiled. It would be interesting if it were though.

As for the syndictate only recently gaining the upper hand, thats not true. They've been slowly winning the important battles for a while now but when they got the diffusers, they started really winning even more and at a faster pace, as you would expect.

Here are a couple tweets Fel sent out yesterday, for those who don't follow him on twitter....

@Sennadar_Fel: Sitting here seriously pondering if the Karinnes could build a transformer that actually works and would be useful. They have the technology

@Sennadar_Fel: But the question would be, would it actually be usable, outside of Jason's idea that it would just be "so fucking cool."

@Sennadar_Fel: byw, I got into this because Kumi is selling merge-capable actual transforming transformer toys on Earth. Even licensed by Hasbro. ;)

Sounds like fel is having fun with chapter 10. I hope that means its coming along nicely and quickly. :)
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

kyli wrote:The chances that the feay could breed with a race in andromeda is astronomical. I think the only reason feay and terrans are competible is because they are related.
Wasn't the chance that faey and humans could interbred also astronomical? Or was some ancient race long ago so bored that they planted seeds that would result in similar evolution patterns in our galaxy and we are only seeing that result now? But I agree, it is highly doubtful that the faey from that exploration mission have managed to survive by mixing with other races. Still, there is a chance that the consortium kept enough alive for them to form into a small population that survived to this day. And lets not forget the consortium trying it's hand at gene manipulation, forcefully trying to add some faey abilities to some other race that might have become compatible through artificial means.
Sounds like fel is having fun with chapter 10. I hope that means its coming along nicely and quickly. :)
Yay! That is always good news. And referencing nerd jokes out of science fiction always makes me happy. Has anyone tried Dennis Taylors 'We are bob'?
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

MartinK wrote: Wasn't the chance that faey and humans could interbred also astronomical?
Actually there is a very good reason for that. If you view Fel's post in this old topic: http://forums.sennadar.com/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=15

It took me quite a while to find that topic again. I originally found it when i was browsing through the forums old topics from before my time.
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

kyli wrote:
MartinK wrote: Wasn't the chance that faey and humans could interbred also astronomical?
Actually there is a very good reason for that. If you view Fel's post in this old topic: http://forums.sennadar.com/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=15

It took me quite a while to find that topic again. I originally found it when i was browsing through the forums old topics from before my time.
Interesting, I never saw that post. I would have remembered it for sure! So, the faey and humans didn't really beat the odds on this one.

On the other hand, if the faey were transplanted, wouldn't they have noticed that they had no commonality with any other living thing on their new world? Or if the world itself was terraformed - in the literal sense of that word even - wouldn't they have been surprised how similar their animals and plants looked to the human ones. Or how much commonality they had? Some scientist must have been very surprised when he did that routine check for the newly discovered human race in the past.
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

They should gather what limited precogs they do have to examine the oracle system. They would set up a biogenic computer, and give the precogs the ability to merge with the system. Precog computer combined with precogs would be epic.

Any real transformer would likely need to be solely piloted by remote. They would be the merging of mechs and fighters. Rockers would become mobile drones. Transforming would offer them deployment options when basing the units.

The megatron units are ship killers, so I wonder could they make an equivalent available for the confederation, but instead crippling or weakening the benga ships. To buy time for Karrine ships to come in and eliminate the threat. Biogenics allow long distant merging, but confederation tech is enough for control from with in the system.

Oasis being indicted would be a tricky situation. Due to the size of the ships, they have to be carefully deployed, so not to upset the balance of the system. With hyperspace denied, the Karrines could eliminate the ships in detail. The Karrines can move at FTL in system, the benga can't.
.S.A.M.K.M
mjkj
Katzh-dashi

Post by mjkj »

Hmmm, I guess the little single light of love is the oracle which is a sentient computer like Cybi and the the other CBIMs...
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

mjkj wrote:Hmmm, I guess the little single light of love is the oracle which is a sentient computer like Cybi and the the other CBIMs...
I found that idea pretty obvious. I wonder why Jason didn't think of it, he sounded surprisingly oblivious despite wondering at previous times about that oracle system and pretty much living with several similar examples in form of sentient computer constructs.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

The thing is to me it implies that there were other lights, but they fell to the corruption of those with no love in their hearts.

Part of me still hopes that one day the shamans will grow Oye trees on earth.
.S.A.M.K.M
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

MartinK wrote:
mjkj wrote:Hmmm, I guess the little single light of love is the oracle which is a sentient computer like Cybi and the the other CBIMs...
I found that idea pretty obvious. I wonder why Jason didn't think of it, he sounded surprisingly oblivious despite wondering at previous times about that oracle system and pretty much living with several similar examples in form of sentient computer constructs.
I find it highly unlikely that the oriacle is a sentient computer. Only the Karinnes, that we know of, have succeeded in creating sentient computers through biogenics. That computer would also not only be sentient but also have physic abilities. Again, thats something biogenics is capable of but i doupt the syndictate could build anything like that.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

kyli wrote:
MartinK wrote:
I find it highly unlikely that the oriacle is a sentient computer. Only the Karinnes, that we know of, have succeeded in creating sentient computers through biogenics. That computer would also not only be sentient but also have physic abilities. Again, thats something biogenics is capable of but i doupt the syndictate could build anything like that.

I'll bet on the Oracle System being a imprisoned biological mind with computer support.